Monday, January 30, 2012

5 Board Books for the 5 Senses

What Can I Hear? Annie Kubler. 2011. Child's Play. 12 pages.

Clitter,
clatter,
crashing!
Bing, bong bashing!

What Can I Taste? Annie Kubler. 2011. Child's Play. 12 pages.

Soft,
fruity
banana...
...and sweet
trickles
of juice.

What Can I Feel? Annie Kubler. 2011. Child's Play. 12 pages.

Tingling toes...
...shivery, 
quivery snow
on my nose.

What Can I See? Annie Kubler. 2011. Child's Play. 12 pages.


butterfly,
flutter
by.


Jiggling bugs
going round
and round
and round.

What Can I Smell? Annie Kubler. 2011. Child's Play. 12 pages.

Soapy
smells
and...
fresh towels
for bathtime
cuddles.

Today I am sharing with you five board books that were recently published by Child's Play. These five board books work best together. Each board book focuses on one of the five senses: sight, hearing, touch, smell, and taste. Each board book uses descriptive language--it's very rich in adjectives--to illustrate the sense. The images--or objects--being described in each book are familiar ones to young ones.

From What Can I Taste?

Sweet
chocolate
splats...
...and crumbly
cake.


Swirly, twirly spaghetti tangles...
...and
munchy,
crunchy
vegetable
sticks.


Not all of the descriptions are as fun--to me--as "swirly, twirly spaghetti tangles" but I think that is one of the best examples. Because that is almost poetic. You can definitely visualize that...AND it is fun to say!


My two favorites are What Can I Hear? and What Can I Taste? The others are just okay.


Read these board books
  • If you've got a little one two or under that you love and want to read to
  • If you're looking for examples--for better or worse--of descriptive language
© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: