Monday, January 30, 2012

5 Board Books for the 5 Senses

What Can I Hear? Annie Kubler. 2011. Child's Play. 12 pages.

Clitter,
clatter,
crashing!
Bing, bong bashing!

What Can I Taste? Annie Kubler. 2011. Child's Play. 12 pages.

Soft,
fruity
banana...
...and sweet
trickles
of juice.

What Can I Feel? Annie Kubler. 2011. Child's Play. 12 pages.

Tingling toes...
...shivery, 
quivery snow
on my nose.

What Can I See? Annie Kubler. 2011. Child's Play. 12 pages.


butterfly,
flutter
by.


Jiggling bugs
going round
and round
and round.

What Can I Smell? Annie Kubler. 2011. Child's Play. 12 pages.

Soapy
smells
and...
fresh towels
for bathtime
cuddles.

Today I am sharing with you five board books that were recently published by Child's Play. These five board books work best together. Each board book focuses on one of the five senses: sight, hearing, touch, smell, and taste. Each board book uses descriptive language--it's very rich in adjectives--to illustrate the sense. The images--or objects--being described in each book are familiar ones to young ones.

From What Can I Taste?

Sweet
chocolate
splats...
...and crumbly
cake.


Swirly, twirly spaghetti tangles...
...and
munchy,
crunchy
vegetable
sticks.


Not all of the descriptions are as fun--to me--as "swirly, twirly spaghetti tangles" but I think that is one of the best examples. Because that is almost poetic. You can definitely visualize that...AND it is fun to say!


My two favorites are What Can I Hear? and What Can I Taste? The others are just okay.


Read these board books
  • If you've got a little one two or under that you love and want to read to
  • If you're looking for examples--for better or worse--of descriptive language
© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP