Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Sunday Salon: Watching Thirdspace

I watched my third Babylon 5 movie recently, Thirdspace. And while Thirdspace wasn't as good as In The Beginning, it was a nice way to spend an afternoon! The movie occurs AFTER the end of the Shadow war but BEFORE the beginning of the war with Earth Alliance. ("Into the Fire" is the season four episode that concludes the Shadow War, and "Moments of Transition" is the season four episode that begins the war with Earth Alliance. There isn't a perfectly-perfect way to fit the movie into this sequence of episodes.)

What I liked best about this movie was John Sheridan. Season three and season four have changed him in oh-so-many ways. His character, his personality. He's got the weight of many worlds on his shoulders. And it began to show. In this movie, there is a lightness, an exuberance almost. Here I saw the John that I remembered from earlier days. The John that I first came to love--just as Delenn came to love him. The John that made her start skipping.

And. I almost forgot. It has the MOST WONDERFUL--BUT PERHAPS WONDERFULLY AWKWARD SCENE--between Lyta and Zack in an elevator. It's a beautiful but heartbreaking scene, in my opinion. (You can watch it without it spoiling the movie.)



In this movie, Susan Ivanova (and some others from a flight squadron) discover an enormous artifact in hyperspace. They don't know what it is--or just how dangerous it may prove to be--but they bring it back with them for further study. And that's when things get a little interesting on the station.

The first part of movie.

This movie felt like a good, strong episode of the show. So that was nice. Is it the best science fiction movie ever? No, it's not meant to be. But if you do like the show--or LOVE the show--I think you'll find plenty to enjoy. The only thing that would have made this movie even better would have been Marcus!!! Oh how wonderful it would have been to see Marcus again!!!

Watch Thirdspace
  • If you like science fiction movies
  • If you're a fan of Babylon 5
  • If you want more John Sheridan, more Vir, more Lyta, more Susan, or more Zack.
  • If you want to know more about the Vorlons

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Kailana said...

I really should look into Babylon 5. One day...

L.H. Thomson said...

Hey Becky, I notice you don't get that many sci-fi reviews amidst the rest -- mostly Connie Willis and Babylon 5! Is that a comment on quality or is there just not that much submitted? I write in lots of genres and intend to write sci-fi at some point; I guess I wonder if people (other than my circle) are reading much of it?