Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Blood Brothers


Harazin, S.A. 2007. Blood Brothers.

What can I say about Blood Brothers? Based on the title, it's not one I'd pick up typically. (I don't typically "do" books with blood in the title.) But as with a good majority of books I wouldn't "usually" pick up, I found myself enjoying this one a great deal. From what I can recall, Clay has just graduated from high school, and the narrative begins in the summer before his first semester of college. (Then again I could have my books mixed up, and this could be the summer before his senior year and it's his friend that is getting ready to go to college.) Clay is seventeen and working at the local hospital. He cleans and preps mostly. He does what he's told. He's responsible. He's punctual. He listens. He's closer to the model of a good teen instead of a poster boy of the bad, rebellious sort. But he's not perfect. It's not like he's never smoked or never drank. He's human after all. The book opens with him at the hospital. A girl--a teen girl--comes in in very bad shape. Her death rattles him, shakes him up and snaps him out of the funk that he's been in since he discovered his girlfriend is hitting on his best friend, Joey. Witnessing someone die can put things into perspective. So Clay on his way home from work stops by his friends house. He wants to make up with his friend. He wants to make things right between them. But he finds Joey, naked and alone, in a shed wielding a shovel and going out of his mind. After Joey starts attacking him with a shovel--and does in fact cut him with a shovel--Clay pushes Joey off of him. Joey falls and, I believe, hits his head. Clay calls 911 and soon help is on the way. But Clay's problems are just beginning.

Clay and Joey are from two different classes--socioeconomic classes. Rich kid, poor kid. Privileged and Un. Suddenly Joey's parents, Joey's friends, and to certain (yet small) degree the local cops all find Clay to be the one to blame. Their precious, darling son wouldn't ever consume alcohol let alone drugs if it hadn't been for that rotten kid, Clay. And Joey's friends, well, they're either staying quiet because they know what happened OR they're wildly speculating and spreading rumors that Clay was out to get Joey.

Clay is a likable guy. A good guy. He's a narrator that I really enjoyed. Life isn't fair, but you hope that Clay gets a good break. You want him to succeed. You want him to get what he wants. Joey, well, Joey is a guy we don't see much of in the novel. We encounter him naked in a shed, drunk and out of control. And we encounter him in a hospital bed in a coma. The only other glimpses we see are in Clay's flashbacks.

The situation is tragic. Two friends torn apart by drugs and alcohol. Full of reminders that actions--all actions--have consequences, Blood Brothers is a heartbreaking novel. It's powerful. It's compelling. It's tragic.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Review Policy

I am interested in reviewing books and audio books. This blog focuses on books written for middle grade on up (essentially 10 to a 110). I review middle grade fiction and young adult fiction (aka tween and teen).

I also review adult books.

I read in a variety of genres including realistic fiction, historical fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, literary fiction, and chick lit. (I've read one western to date.)

I read a few poetry books, a few short story collections, a few graphic novels, a few nonfiction books.

I am especially fond of:

  • Regency romances (including Austen prequels/sequels)
  • Historical fiction set in the Tudor dynasty
  • Historical fiction and nonfiction set during World War II
  • Jewish fiction/nonfiction
  • dystopias
  • apocalyptic fiction
  • science fiction (especially if it involves time travel and alternate realities)
  • fantasy
  • multicultural books and international books

I am not a fan of:

  • sports books
  • horse books
  • dog books if the dog dies (same goes with most pets actually except maybe fish)
  • westerns (if it's a pioneer story with women and children, then maybe)
  • extremely violent books with blood, blood, and more blood

I am more interested in strong characters, well-written, fleshed-out, human characters. Plot is secondary to me in a way. I have to care about the characters in order to care about the plot. That being said, compelling storytelling is something that I love. I love to become absorbed in what I'm reading.

If you're interested in sending me a review copy of your book, I'm happy to hear from you. Email me at laney_po AT yahoo DOT com.

You should know several things before you contact me:

1) I do not guarantee a review of your book. I am just agreeing to consider it for review.
2) I give all books at least fifty pages.
3) I am not promising anyone (author or publisher) a positive review in exchange for a review copy. That's not how I work.
4) In all of my reviews I strive for honesty. My reviews are my opinions--so yes, they are subjective--you should know my blog will feature both negative and positive reviews.
5) I do not guarantee that I will get to your book immediately. I've got so many books I'm trying to read and review, I can't promise to get to any one book in a given time frame.
6) Emailing me every other week to see if I've read your book won't help me get to it any faster. Though if you want to email me to check and see if it arrived safely, then that's fine!

Authors, publishers. I am interested in interviewing authors and participating in blog tours. (All I ask is that I receive a review copy of the author's latest book beforehand so the interview will be productive. If the book is part of a series, I'd like to review the whole series.) Contact me if you're interested.

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP