Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Amanda


Ransom, Candice F. 1984. Amanda. Scholastic. (Sunfire Romance). 361 pages.

It would be hard for me--quite honestly--to pick a favorite, favorite Sunfire Romance novel. But I can tell you this much. Amanda and Caroline would both be in my top five. Amanda is probably one of the Sunfires I read most. Meet Amanda. At the start of the novel she's quite the spoiled brat. Hardly a redemptive bone in her body. But by the end, by the end, wow, she has grown. Talk about turn around! But I'm rushing. Her father--a man whose reckless gambling has cost him almost everything--runs away from his debtors with his daughter. (She's told simply, put on your riding habit, pack two dresses, and hurry! Of course, she chooses two silk dresses; one is her fanciest dress!) Born into wealth, Amanda is forced to get real. A transformation that she fights and fights and fights. But once the pair have joined the trek west--going to Oregon--Amanda has no choice but to grow up and fast. For the first time in her life, she is working, she is living. She finds out what true friendship and true love is along the way. I loved this one. I loved it because it had substance. I loved it because Amanda is a great little heroine.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

6 comments:

Lisa Mantchev said...

WOO! Blast from the past! I ~loved~ these books when I was in junior high... Wasn't "Emily" the Gibson Girl that wanted to become a nurse? And... er... dang. The one on the Titanic?!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my God! How old do you want to make me feel? Yes, I wrote Emily, the who wanted to be a nurse. And Nicole, who was on the Titanic. In fact, I "launched" the Sunfire line with Amanda and Susannah. Huge deal at the time. I had never written anything like this before. My editor threw me in the deep end of the pool!

Candice

Becky said...

I'm so *glad* we can bond over these, Lisa. Yes, I loved, loved, loved these books in junior high.

Candice, Old? No. Proud, yes! Your books have been making people happy and it's the kind of happy that lasts through the years!

Lisa Mantchev said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

What a fun blast from the past! I remember reading these. I think I read one about the Triangle Factory Fire and the Titanic.

Zibilee said...

I love the cover of this book! It really takes me back awhile. I am going to have to get a copy of this for my daughter, she would love this. Thanks for posting this!