Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #13


Welcome, welcome! I hope you're having a pleasant Sunday. (Sometimes the lazier the better!) Have you read any good books lately? Any you especially want to recommend? I love hearing from readers!

What have I been up to? Besides reading you mean? Well, I've become immersed in watching FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON. I am three episodes in, and I am loving it. The drama. The music. The emotions. Wow is the only way to describe it. If you haven't seen this series about the race to the moon, spaceflight, you REALLY REALLY should.

I also watched Bolt. It was fun. Funnier than I expected. I liked it more than I thought I would.

What else, what else...well, I've started twittering. Not as much as some. Some people it seems twitter all day and most of the night. Still I have found it to be fun. If you twitter, I'd love to have you follow me. We can have bookish conversations :)

Random question for YOU. What comes first? Do you give priority to library books or books that you own? Does having a due date from the library influence you at all as to what gets read when? Or do you have a good stand-by friend called renew?

What I read in a previous week, but reviewed this week:

Fireflies In December by Jennifer Erin Valent. Tyndale. 343 pages.
The Love We Share Without Knowing by Christopher Barzak. 2009. Bantam. 288 pages.
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. 1847. 246 pages.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. Quirk. 317 pages.

What I read this past week and reviewed:

Lullaby and Good Night. Illustrated by Janet Samuel. 2008. Scholastic. (Board Book)
Little Oink by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. 2009. Chronicle Books. (picture book)
Big Rabbit's Bad Mood. Ramona Badescu. 2009. Illustrated by Delphine Durand. Chronicle Books. (picture book)
Duck! Rabbit! by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. 2009. Chronicle Books. (picture book)
Bedtime Sing To Me by Diane C. Ohanesian. 2009. Scholastic. (Board Book) (Poetry/Songs)
Wee Little Chick by Lauren Thompson. 2008. Simon & Schuster. Illustrated by John Butler. (picture book)
Streams of Babel by Carol Plum-Ucci. 2008. Harcourt. 424 pages. (YA Novel)
Maus: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman. 1986. 159 pages. (graphic novel)
Maus II : A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman. 1991. 136 pages. (graphic novel)

What I read this past week and haven't reviewed yet:

Eon Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman. 2008. Viking. 531 pages. (YA Fantasy)
Amanda by Candice F. Ransom. Scholastic. 1984. 361 pages. (YA Romance)
Caroline by Willo Davis Roberts. 1984. Scholastic. 361 pages. (YA Romance)
The Black Book of Secrets by F.E. Higgins. 273 pages. Feiwel and Friends. (YA Fantasy)
Passion Most Pure by Julie Lessman. 477 pages. Revell. (Adult/Christian/Historical Romance)

What I've read and really really need to review:

None!

What I'm currently reading:

The Kingmaking by Helen Hollick. Sourcebooks. 592 pages.
Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary. By Brandon Mull. Shadow Mountain. 535 pages.

What I'm just fooling around that I'm reading: None
What I've abandoned: None

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

10 comments:

JessicaLeigh said...

The library's due dates definitely influence me to read the books that I get from there first. I know it's silly because it only takes me a few days to read the book, and with the renew option, I can keep a book from the library for 4 weeks. That's more than enough time. But something in my subconscious keeps me reading the library books first.

Janssen said...

I LOVE From the Earth to the Moon - I really think it is one of the best historical movie series ever. I have watched the whole set multiple times.

Anonymous said...

I am SO anal! I keep a spreadsheet of books to read and when to read them. I plan my library books according to that schedule. So whenever I get a library book, I read it ahead of other books - but I had it planned that way.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've just started twittering (tweeting?) as well. I don't really know what I'm doing and my son thinks I've lost my mind....Anyway, I think I'll figure it out sooner or later. My name at Twitter is debnance.

Vasilly said...

A library book's due date influence me more than the books on my own shelf. If the book if one I've been wanting to read for a while, it's bumped up the TBR pile.

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

If I have a library book that can not be renewed then this definitely influences me to read it faster. Like right now, I'm reading Thirteen Reasons Why and it was due last week and I can't renew it. So now that I'm paying for it, you bet, I'm reading it!

chrisa511 said...

I've found that alternating library books and my own books works well! Right now I'm reading Hey Nostradamus! by Douglas Coupland and I'd highly recommend it! Next up will be Hunger Games from the library...and yes..."renew" is my friend :p

Marg said...

The library due dates definitely influence my choices when it comes to deciding what to read next. I also have a spreadsheet that I use to help keep track of what is due next!

DesLily said...

i'm not near a library but I know it would influence me greatly..which is why i would never go to a library as long as I have a tbr pile! If i think enough of a book to buy it.. i darn well want to read them before I get "loaned a book with a time limit on it".. not fond of "returning" things..I always hated renting movies too! Rather buy them lol

You amaze me so much with how much you can read and how fast. There are a few others who seem to read as much as you and it just blows my mind! Such a wonderful gift you have.

sally apokedak said...

Oh, that "what you've abandoned" slot looks interesting. I mean if there were anything in it, I'd find it interesting. You read so much that I'd love to see a list of the ones you discard at the fifty-page mark.

heh heh I guess the authors of those books wouldn't really want to see the list, though.