Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Summer On Earth.


Lombardi, Tom. 2008. My Summer On Earth.

Meet Clint Eastwood. No, not that Clint Eastwood. This one, an alien living in a human suit designed to look like a sixteen-year-old Clint Eastwood. This alien--I don't believe we ever learn his 'real' name, his alien name--has a potty mouth. Words overused in the book: s**t, f**k, like, for sure, earthling, douche. I could list a dozen more, but I try to keep the blog family friendly. In one way at least, Clint blends in with the teen crowd--his fascination with sex, for example. (And his general interest in the opposite sex.)

Clint is on a mission. He's there to retrieve another alien. Someone from his home planet who has been living on earth for decades. A famous actor, whose name we never learn, who supposedly is getting ready to star in a movie about all-to-real aliens. But Clint tracks him down and discovers that isn't quite the case. Still, there's something wrong about this guy.

If I'm being honest--and I guess you'll have to take my word on it--this book makes Earth Girls Are Easy seem intelligent*. I suppose this premise-oriented (somewhat gimmicky) book may appeal to the younger crowd. The younger male crowd. It has the kind of jokes that really only appeal to boys in the 12-14 crowd. You know the audience that seems to have a dozen or so movies written and released just for them each and every year. The kind where you see the trailer and you think, "who would actually go see this?" because it looks and sounds so unbelievably stupid immature. Well if that movie-going crowd ever ventures into a library or bookstore, this one would most likely appeal.

I think the book could appeal to some readers. And it seems to have gotten quite a few five-star ratings on Good Reads. (26% of the people who rated it gave it 5 stars.) And while there are only three Amazon reviews of it, all three are five star. I can't conceive of how or why. But it's not my place to judge. All's good.

For the record, I do like Earth Girls Are Easy. There was a time when I just loved it in the "it's so bad, it's really really good" way. I do own it on DVD.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

3 comments:

Debi said...

Hey, it's nice to NOT have to add a book to the wish list once in a while! :)

Sadako said...

He's named Clint Eastwood? Was someone channeling Back to the Future Part III?

Anonymous said...

This book sounds like a work of genius. Thanks for the thorough, literary explication, Becky.