Friday, March 27, 2009

Library Loot, Week End of March


Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Alessandra that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!

No leftover loot to report. I decided not to risk the wrath of the renewing gods. Our Mutual Friend, sadly, got returned unread. I did read just enough in it to know that I want to read it at some point. But it's so very long--and the chapters are so very long--that this is more the type of book I need to own than borrow. Hence it will go on my wishlist. Maybe I'll find it for a good price--a price that won't make me feel guilty for owning it and not reading it right away.

Mar's Life by Ben Bova. This is a crazy impulse. I do own the first two Mars books by Ben Bova. But it's kinda silly to think I could get through those two novels...and tackle this one two...in three weeks with all the other library loot I've got below.

Powers by Ursula K. Le Guin
Voices by Ursula K. Le Guin

I'm not sure offhand which comes first, Powers or Voices, but I've got both titles out now. So we'll see how it goes.

In Dubious Battle by John Steinbeck
The Pastures of Heaven by John Steinbeck
To A God Unknown by John Steinbeck

Three more Steinbeck. I'm not sure if my love affair with Steinbeck will last the month of April or not. But I'm willing to keep it going, one setback might be these library books have a bit of the musty feel about them.

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks.

I *believe* that this is one of Dewey's books. So it should count for that challenge.

Zombie Queen of Newbury High by Amanda Ashby

The title says it all.

This is what I want to tell you by Heather Duffy Stone

I opened this one up, and the first sentence got me.

Truancy Origins by Isamu Fukui

Blame the jacket flap. I do.

Jumped by Rita Williams-Garcia

This one looked good to me.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

8 comments:

Ana S. said...

First Voices, then Powers. I loved them SO much. Even more than Gifts. I hope you do too!

chrisa511 said...

Yay! So glad you got the LeGuin books..like Nymeth, I loved Voices even more than Gifts! Fantastic book :) And Zombie Queen of Newbury High sounds awesome :p I can't wait to see what you think of it! Did you post your Jane Austin Zombie review yet?? Did I miss that?

Becky said...

Chris, it will be soon, I'm thinking either tomorrow or Monday. I have four books waiting to be reviewed. It is one of them :) The other one I have waiting--that you might enjoy--is Eon Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman.

Sandra said...

I was hoping to hear about Our Mutual Friend but I'll watch and see if you get a copy and maybe read it while you are. The People of the Book was a great read for me, hope you enjoy it. Glad to see you trying more Steinbeck, you're into works now that I haven't read. I 'll have to see what you recommend. Happy reading.

Becky said...

I do want to keep reading it. But at the rate of fifty pages a week, there was no way even two renewals could get the job done.

I'll buy it *hopefully* sooner rather than later.

Erika Powell said...

Zombie Queen is AMAZING! you will laugh so hard

Kailana said...

I really liked the LeGuin books! I have Powers on the go at the moment, but put it aside for a few books that I couldn't renew at the library. I liked Voices better than Gifts, though!

samantha.1020 said...

I haven't read any of these but they all sound interesting. Enjoy your finds :)