Saturday, March 07, 2009

Love You Hate You Miss You


Scott, Elizabeth. 2009. (Late May Publication) Love You Hate You Miss You. HarperCollins. 288 pages.

Dear Julia,

Get this, I'm supposed to be starting a journal about "my journey." Please. I can see it now:

Dear Diary,
As I'm set adrift on this crazy sea called "life," I like to think of an inspirational poem I heard not long ago, one that made me weep because of its beauty. Today, I truly believe each day is a precious gift...

I don't think so.


Meet Amy. Trust me, you wouldn't want to be her. Amy is the star of Elizabeth Scott's latest, Love You Hate You Miss You. And it's a tough read--though not as touch as Living Dead Girl. She's an alcoholic. And a grieving one at that. Her best friend, Julia, died in a car accident. And Amy blames herself. But no amount of I'm sorry's and why's and if only's will bring her friend back. Life goes on...despite it all. And Amy's return to "normal" life, to school, is anything but easy. Facing the entire high school, knowing that many of Julia's friends despise her, blame her, feeling so alone. But there are a few in her classes who do anything but ignore her. Enter Mel and Patrick. And let's not forget her former friend, Caro, "Corn Syrup." Is there a place for Amy after all? Can she live again? love again? Find a way to smile again?

What did I love about this one? I'll be honest, it's partly all-about-Patrick. Elizabeth Scott has a way of writing irresistable guys. Amy's a troubled narrator--someone who aches down to her soul. The guilt. The shame. The feelings of self-hatred. Feeling like she should never have been born. The feeling that no one wants her, needs her, loves her. Whether Amy likes it or not she's vulnerable. And it is this vulnerability that makes me like her, love her. She's in need of so much. You want her to get it.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

10 comments:

Beth Fehlbaum, Author said...

It sounds like what you liked the most about the book was the way the author created in the character something that makes the readers root for her, flawed as she is.

Beth Fehlbaum, author
Courage in Patience, a story of HOPE..
http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
Ch. 1 is online!

Staci said...

Living Dead Girl is sitting beside my bed right now and it will be my first taste of this author. I really enjoyed this review so I'm sure it won't be my last!!

Erika Powell said...

gah! I want to read this one SO bad! great review.

Unknown said...

It's always great to find an irresistible guy in the book your reading...thanks for the tip!

I owe you one ;)

Lia Mack
http://www.LiaMack.com

Anonymous said...

I SO want to read this book!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I am so with Maw Books on this one. I wanna read it too...lol!

Debi said...

Another irresistible review, Becky!

Becky said...

Beth, yes, that's it exactly :)
Debi, you write pretty irresistible reviews yourself...
J. Kaye, Lia, Erika and Natasha, I hope you enjoy when you get the chance! I know it's *mean* for me to post a few months in advance. But it'll be worth the wait :)
Staci, Living Dead Girl is a great book. But very unlike some of her other books. Some of her books are darker than others. Some are light and giddy-making romance. But all are well-written.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Not mean at all. You give a head-ups and that's one thing I really love. :)

Janssen said...

I absolutely love Elizabeth Scott. I'm so so anxious to get my hands on a copy of this book.