Friday, March 06, 2009

Poetry Friday: What's the Weather Inside?


Wilson, Karma. 2009. What's The Weather Inside? Simon & Schuster. 170 pages.

What's The Weather Inside? is a playful poetry book by Karma Wilson, a writer whose picture books you may be familiar with already. Wilson dares her readers to read the book--challenges them to rethink their stance on poetry being boring. Taking the direct approach, she issues "I dare ya" right there on page two. Some of her poems are playful; others silly; but a few are genuinely thoughtful or serious. I enjoyed her series of poems, "What Your Dog Might Be Thinking," "What Your Cat Might Be Thinking," and "What Your Hamster Might Be Thinking." But without a doubt my two favorite poems are "Critics" and "Word Play." (Though "A Perfect World" is a favorite as well.) I enjoyed the twist in "Dental Anxiety" and noticed that many of her poems offer a twist. They don't always go where you might expect. And that's good fun.

So I recommend this one. And I'd like to share "Critics" (27)

Critics

I wrote a story, a wonderful story--
the bestest story I ever saw.
I showed my mom and she liked it too,
but she thought that it had one flaw.

She liked the beginning, she liked it fine,
but the ending she thought could be better.
So I changed my story like she said--
down to the very last letter.

I showed my dad, he liked it too.
He said, "It's a fabulous tale.
But it has one tiny problem, son.
I think the beginning is stale."

So I changed my story like he said--
I got every word just so.
Then I showed my uncle the story too,
and my uncle said, "You know?

I like the story very much.
It's funny and full of suspense.
But it seems to me that middle part
just doesn't make much sense."

So I changed my story like everyone said--
and now it's a terrible bore.
Since writing for others instead of myself,
writings no fun anymore.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

No comments: