Friday, March 13, 2009

The Amaranth Enchantment


Berry, Julie. 2009. The Amaranth Enchantment. Bloomsbury. 308 pages.

Don't you just love the cover? I do. It drew me to the book immediately. Luckily, the text lived up to the promise of the cover. What is it about? Why should you read it? It's a fairy-tale-esque book that is satisfying through and through. Our heroine, Lucinda Chapdelaine, is an orphan, now fifteen. Her parents left to attend a royal ball and never returned. Now, ten years later, Lucinda finds herself in a bit of a mess. Her evil step-mom Aunt treats her as a servant--and a stupid one at that. Her uncle is just as beaten-down as his niece. When her uncle dies, Lucinda finds herself homeless and friendless...

But I'm getting ahead of myself. It all begins one day at the shop--jewelry shop--when not one, but two interesting customers appear. One, an older woman, Beryl, leaves a large (but oh-so-mysterious) jewel at the shop for repair--she wants a new setting. The other a young man (and he's ever-so-dreamy) who makes our young heroine go all weak in the knees. Swoon-worthy and then some. This is only heightened when she learns he is not only fine, but royally fine--a Prince, Prince Gregor. He is seeking a special gift that says "forever" to give to his betrothed, a young lady whom he's never met.

When a visit from a priest prompts a command from the Aunt to return the jewel--he thinks the lady is a witch--Lucinda is given the task of returning the jewel. The Aunt fearing that if it is true, the bearer of the jewel might just become cursed if the "Amaranth Witch" is indeed a witch and becomes angry. But Lucinda...well...she doesn't return the jewel as ordered. Something compels her to hold onto it.

That night, a strange young man, Peter, appears demanding sanctuary in her bedroom. Rather than drawing attention to herself--and her uninvited guest--by throwing him out, she allows him to stay. On the floor. What she doesn't know is that he's a notorious thief. The jewel in her pocket, not quite as safe as she thinks...

These three strangers--whom she met within a very short amount of time--will change Lucinda's life for better or worse. It all comes down to whom she chooses to trust...and how much she's willing to risk for her happily-ever-after-ending...


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cover is quite beautiful. It sounds like an interesting book, and I might have to give it a try. It sounds almost as if it has a Cinderella theme, would you agree?

Becky said...

Yes, it has a Cinderella theme. But the heroine is empowered a bit more than the traditional Cinderella. She's bolder and more decisive.

Anonymous said...

wow, I do love that cover. I have to read this book.

Janssen said...

Looks terrific! I'll have to grab this one from school, where my professor has a copy.

samantha.1020 said...

This sounds like a book that I would definitely enjoy. Great review!

Kailana said...

I really like the cover to this book! Sounds really good too. On the wish list with it. :)

Anonymous said...

this is such a good book! after I read Once-Upon-A-Marigold (which is amazing) my teacher said I should read this book and it was absolutly amazing!do you have any suggestions on other books that are similar? ps, Im only 13 but I'm in advanced reading classes.

Becky said...

I'd recommend Jessica Day George. She has written some great books!

Anonymous said...

I read this in one day! It was so intresting I just loved it! I agree at the beginning it has a very "Cinderella feel" but then it has a little twist and then a "Oh I know whats gonna happen!" moment but then it suprised me! but it had a very beautiful ending that left me satisfied. Terrific read I recommend to anyone.

Anonymous said...

The author, Julie Berry, is an old friend of my family, so I got to read it about a month before it came out, and I LOVED IT! Julie is such a sweet lady, and I can't wait for her next book.

Elf said...

Yes, this book is amazing. I love Julie Berry's book, Secondhand Charm, as well. Visit my blog for another review and a preview of the book.
http://need2read9.blogspot.com/