Tuesday, October 23, 2018

The Fourteenth Goldfish

The Fourteenth Goldfish. Jennifer L. Holm. 2014. Random House. 208 pages. [Source: Library] 

First sentence: When I was in preschool, I had a teacher named Starlily. She wore rainbow tie-dyed dresses and was always bringing in cookies that were made with granola and flax and had no taste.

Premise/plot: When the novel opens Ellie isn't all that close to her Grandpa Melvin. Her mother and grandfather just don't get along all that well. Plus her grandfather is always super-busy with his scientific experiments. But all that changes one day when Melvin's experiment is a little too successful. He was looking for the fountain of youth...

Ellie finds herself going to middle school with her grandfather by her side--as a classmate.

Ellie was having a difficult time in middle school before this family drama began to unfold. But she has a unique opportunity to learn about life--and so does her grandfather. Both have a 'coming of age' experience....

My thoughts: I enjoyed rereading this one. It was fun; it was quick. There is something to be said for fun and quick. Imagine how many books I could read in a year if all books were so well-paced and entertaining. This one reminded me of why I tend to love reading middle grade novels.

I definitely want to read the new sequel which released this year. 

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: