Monday, October 29, 2018

The Polar Bear Wish

The Polar Bear Wish. Lori Evert. Photographs by Per Breiehagen. 2018. Random House. 48 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Long, long ago, so high in the mountains and close to the stars that on clear nights you didn't need a lantern, lived an adventurous girl named Anja.

Premise/plot: A girl makes a Christmas wish. Did her wish come true? Or did she have a fantastical dream?

My thoughts: This is the fourth book in the Wish series. This is the first that I've read. Perhaps if I had a previous attachment with Anja or Erik--the (human) stars of this one--then I might have appreciated it more. I thought it was odd. Perhaps surreal is the better word choice. I think some readers will enjoy it very much. This reader didn't really "get it." But picture books are incredibly subjective.

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations/photographs: 4 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Alyssa Nelson said...

It seems interesting, at least! Hopefully you're onto better reads!