Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Maze Runner (YA)

The Maze Runner. James Dashner. 2009. Random House. 384 pages.

He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

The Maze Runner is certainly compelling--very suspenseful. It's an action-packed dystopian novel. Thomas, our narrator, awakes to find his memory gone. He knows his first name. Nothing more. He's in a strange place. But he's not alone. There are others like him. Others his own age. Others whose memories have been erased--they call themselves the Gladers. They've got a system in place. A system that seems to be working. For the most part. Still there are plenty of creepy things about his new life. There are rules to learn. And while they are forthcoming with the rules--they're not always good at explaining to Thomas why these rules are in place. Can Thomas find the answers he so desperately wants?

I enjoyed The Maze Runner. It is very intense, very exciting, very mysterious. Readers--like Thomas--don't have all the answers by the end of the book. There is a second novel in this series, The Scorch Trials, which releases in October.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this on my bookshelf. It sounds really intriguing. Thanks for the review

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I've had this one on my TBR pile for ages and have still not gotten around to it :( Soon, very soon. Thanks for the review!

Laura H said...

We read this for our book club and everyone loved this book except me.

kee said...

I've had this already and I will read this again and again...

kaye said...

I love suspense this is a good read novel. :)

Pages&Mascara said...

I absolutely loved this novel. I can't wait to get more in the series and get some of these loose ends tied up!