Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Hat Full of Sky (MG/YA)

A Hat Full of Sky. Terry Pratchett. 2004. HarperCollins. 288 pages.

It came crackling over the hills, like an invisible fog. Movement without a body tired it, and it drifted very slowly. It wasn't thinking now. It had been months since it had last thought, because the brain that was doing the thinking for it had died. They always died. So now it was naked again, and frightened.

I just LOVED The Wee Free Men. So I was very excited to read the second Tiffany Aching adventure in the series, A Hat Full of Sky. While I still loved Tiffany, still loved Rob Anybody, it didn't wow me as much as the first.

In A Hat Full of Sky, Tiffany leaves home to train to be a witch. She'll be living with Miss Level--a witch with two bodies--and "studying" under her. Which means she'll be serving not only Miss Level but the community as well. Miss Level is a kind, compassionate person who is always thinking of others. She'll meet hags--of all ages and persuasions--like Annagramma, Petulia, Mistress Earwig, Mistress Weatherwax, etc. Not every 'hag' she meets agree on magic, on what witchcraft is.

During her time away, Tiffany faces a new danger. A danger that Rob Anybody and the other Nac Mac Feegles will try to alert her of...before it's too late.

I still enjoyed this one. I still enjoyed the writing--the humor. Still liked the adventure of it. But not quite as much as the first.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Jennie said...

I haven't read this one yet. I loved Wee Free Men and I actually liked Wintersmith more (which was the first one I read, oddly enough.)

I'm looking forward to finding the time to read this one and then I Shall Wear Midnight. And then the rest of Discworld...

cleemckenzie said...

Sorry this book didn't grab you like Wee Free Men. Guess I'll have to read it to see my reaction. Thanks.

Fyrefly said...

I think I liked this one better than Wee Free Men, mostly because Tiffany was a bit older and so the book was a bit more mature, and I found the plot more engaging. Love them all, though.

kaye said...

The title got me. Its really catchy. it makes me want to read this.