Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wintersmith (MG/YA)

Wintersmith. Terry Pratchett. 2006. HarperCollins. 325 pages.

When the storm came, it hit the hills like a hammer. No sky should hold as much snow as this, and because no sky could, the snow fell, fell in a wall of white.

Wintersmith is the third Tiffany Aching Adventure. The first two are The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky. As much as I loved The Wee Free Men, I think Wintersmith might be the better novel. It's a great adventure, a great fantasy.

Tiffany has unknowingly walked into danger. Or should I say danced her way into danger, danced her way into story. The story. Of winter and summer. Wintersmith--the elemental god--has fallen in love with her. Even when he finds out that she's no goddess, well, he's fascinated by her, by her humanness. He sets out to become human. But how can the god of winter become human?

No matter if he's a god or a human, Wintersmith's passion means trouble for the human world. In big ways--ice bergs in the likeness of Tiffany--in small ways, Tiffany-shaped snowflakes. Tiffany caused this problem, she'll need to be the one to solve it. Of course, she can count on help from other witches--Granny Weatherwax, Miss Treason, and Nanny Ogg especially--and, of course, the Nac Mac Feegles. Rob Anybody is always there for Tiffany.

I loved this one. I just LOVED it! It was such a great story. This series features some very interesting characters, very enjoyable characters. And the books always offer a little humor too! One of my favorite comedic scenes? When Tiffany begins to read the romance novel the Nac Mac Feegles bring her to "help" her understand the "romance" of the story she has found herself in. I loved the passages about the librarian too!
The librarians were mysterious. It was said they could tell what book you needed just by looking at you, and they could take your voice away with a word. (180)
I would definitely recommend this series!

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

LinWash said...

I loved this one too. Terry Pratchett is one of my favorite authors. I've read all of the Tiffany Aching books, including the newest one I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT.

fredamans said...

My hubby and I both love his books. Will have to get this one. Great review!

Annette said...

Great cover for the book!
Sounds like a great read.
Thanks Becky!

Anonymous said...

This sounds truly wonderful - but that does not surprise me.:) L.

Anonymous said...

sounds good, thanks!