Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Airhead (YA)


Airhead. Meg Cabot. 2008. Scholastic. 340 pages.

"Emerson Watts," called my first-period Public Speaking teacher, Mr. Greer, startling me from the light doze into which I'd drifted.

I loved this one. I did. I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did. I thought it would be a light read, an easy read, a forgettable-but-enjoyable read. But. I really loved this one. It surprised me in oh so many ways.

Emerson Watts, our narrator, didn't have the perfect life. But it was her life. And she was happy with it. She wasn't one of those teens who'd give anything and everything to be one of the beautiful, popular people. She didn't want to be a supermodel when she grew up. She didn't want to be famous. She might not have all that many friends, but she loved the friends she did have. In fact, she was secretly in love with her best friend, Christopher.

Em definitely didn't want to go with her sister to the grand opening of the Stark Megastore. She didn't care who was performing. Her sister, Frida, may be head over heels with the British singer, Gabriel Luna, but Em, well, she doesn't care all that much about things like that. But one day can change oh-so-much as she comes to realize!

For Em wakes up--after a terrible accident--to discover something startling. Something that will change her life--and her family's life--forever.

There is something very compelling about Airhead. I definitely recommend it!

In a way, it reminds me of Eva by Peter Dickinson and The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson.

Other reviews: Teen Book Review, Em's Bookshelf, Jen Robinson, 3 Evil Cousins, The Compulsive Reader, Reader Rabbit, Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf, Reading the Best of the Best, Teenage Fiction for All Ages, Galley Smith, Liv's Book Reviews, Harmony Book Reviews, The Reading Zone, And Another Book Read, The YA YA YAs.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Kals said...

Meg Cabot's books are usually brilliant. I'd heard a lot about this one and i'm glad you liked it! Looking forward to reading it myself :)

Melissa said...

I just picked this up at the library for M; maybe I'll give it a go myself!

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Oh I really loved this one as well :) But I knew I would - Meg Cabot is such a genius.