Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mini-Challenge Time

This mini-challenge is for Hour 17. It is the "Get the Heck Out of Here" Mini-challenge. It is hosted by The Literate Housewife.

  1. What steps did you take to ensure you’d be able to read as much as possible today?
My Saturdays aren't all that busy to begin with. So it wasn't a problem to focus on reading. Especially once I let everyone know it was a Read-a-thon day. Of course, some people still didn't get it. But that's okay.
  1. Of those steps, which proved to be the most beneficial to your day?
I think one of the things that helped me out was being patient with myself. Knowing that I didn't have to read every single hour. That I didn't have to participate in every mini-challenge. That I didn't have to do anything any one way.
  1. Is there anything you might do differently next time?
I don't know. It's too early to say. In some ways, I like having a list. And in other ways, I like freedom. So there can be a few indecisive moments throughout the event where I'm not exactly sure what to pick up next. But. Then again there isn't really a right or wrong answer for that. I thought about reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson. But I decided I didn't want to rush the experience.

This mini-challenge is for Hour 11. It is the "If The Cover Fits" challenge hosted by Eclectic/Eccentric. The mission is to find book covers to match these categories:

  • disturbing
  • vibrant
  • beautiful
  • scary
  • moving

For disturbing:


Fat Vampire: A Never Coming of Age Story by Adam Rex. (July 2010) I actually would *love* to read this one.

For vibrant:

Scones and Sensibility by Lindsay Eland. This one looks fun. I haven't read it yet though.

For scary:


Numbers. Rachel Ward.

For moving:

Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

For beautiful:


Fireflies in December by Jennifer Erin Valent

This mini-challenge is for Hour 3 of the 24 Hour Read-a-thon. The host for this mini-challenge is Til We Read Again.

Favorite Female Character in a book: Valancy from The Blue Castle
Favorite Male Character in a book: Marcus Flutie from Megan McCafferty's Jessica Darling series.
Favorite Side Kick in a book: Spencer from Scarlett Fever (he's the heroine's brother)
Favorite Couple in a Book: Anne and Gilbert (from the Anne series by L.M. Montgomery)
Favorite Book Series: Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
Favorite Author: L.M. Montgomery
Favorite Book Cover: Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork
Favorite Book of 2009: The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

6 comments:

Stacy said...

I need to read some more Mongomery so I can see where Anne and Gilbert's relationship goes. Happy reading!

Ashley said...

I very much approve of your selection of Marcus Flutie for Favorite Male Character!

Happy reading!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Hi Becky - hope the readathon is going well for you! Enjoy the reading and I will try to pop back later today!

Readathon Cheerleader :D

Vasilly said...

Happy reading!

Nise' said...

Awesome cover choices. Happy continued reading.

Literate Housewife said...

I'm not sure how lists would work for me. I've not been able to fully participate yet due to my family. I'm considering renting a hotel room next year. Thanks so much for participating!