Monday, April 05, 2010

Sixteen Brides


Sixteen Brides. Stephanie Grace Whitson. 2010. April 2010. Bethany House. 352 pages.
As the carriage pulled away from Union Station, Caroline Jamison almost panicked and called out to the driver, "Wait! Don't go! I've changed my mind! Take me home!" Her heart racing, Caroline forced herself to turn away. St. Louis isn't home. And home doesn't want you. Daddy told you that in his last letter. Still, there were times when she entertained a desperate few minutes of hope.
Mr. Hamilton Drake, organizer of the Ladies Emigration Society, has convinced sixteen women to travel with him to Nebraska. He talks big. Promises much. Urges women to "TAKE CONTROL of their own DESTINY by acquiring LAND IN THEIR OWN NAME" (13). Each woman, of course, has their own reason for wanting a new start, a second chance. Many are widows. Many lost their husbands in the Civil War.

But when the truth comes out, that Drake has advertised these women as potential brides seeking husbands, that Mr. Drake is being paid by these men for the opportunity of meeting and dancing with these women. Well, the truth is too much for some to handle. Caroline and a handful of other women get off the train early. Decide to settle in Plum Grove instead. Decide to work together. Filing four claims, but living together communally where their homesteads meet. Piling together their resources, relying on everyone to give it their all. These women show great determination and spirit. Caroline. Sally. Ruth and her son, Jackson. Hettie. Ella. Zita. These are just a few of the characters we come to know and love within Sixteen Brides.

I loved this one. I just love, love, loved it! I loved these women. Especially Ella, Ruth, and Caroline. I loved the men who became the love interests: Jeb Cooper, Matthew Ransom, Lucas Gray. I loved this community. I loved spending time with these characters. They were so human, so flawed. And the story was oh-so-satisfying. Definitely recommended for those that love historical fiction and/or historical romance.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, it sounds really good! And I love the cover too. L.

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

Thank you for this superb review, Becky! This sounds like a great story of independent women :)

Jeanne C. said...

Love the cover! Is it really sappy romance? I like the historical aspect, but I'm not much into drippy romances.

Unknown said...

This sounds like something I would like. Thanks for the review. (It is an awesome cover.)

Becky said...

Jeanne C. I personally wouldn't consider it sappy or drippy. It's not over-the-top. It's not cutesy. While romance is a part of this one, it isn't the only part. There's strong character development. And it's just as much about friendship and community as it is romance.

Phil and Lydia Vine said...

This sounds like a different story line and very interesting. I'm definitely going to add it to my to-read list!

Kals said...

This definitely sounds like a book I'd like :) Thanks for the lovely review!