Monday, April 26, 2010

Paisley Hanover Acts Out (YA)


Paisley Hanover Acts Out by Cameron Tuttle. 2009. Penguin. 432 pages.

I took a deep breath outside the door to Yearbook class and then sauntered--yes, I actually sauntered--into the room, doing my best imitation of calm, confident me. I was totally nervous. I had butterflies in my brain. But it was good nervous, excited nervous. I was one of the chosen people.

Paisley Hanover feels she's destined for greatness. In fact, she has it all planned out. And it all starts with being part of Yearbook her sophomore year. But. When things don't go her way--when they turn embarrassingly awful, in fact--Paisley has to rethink everything. Rejected from Yearbook, Paisley's forced into drama. What she learns about herself, about others, well, it's the stuff movies are made of. Does Paisley have more in common with the weird freaks and geeks and nobodies than with the popular people? Who is she really?

I liked this one. It was a nice blend of humor and social commentary. In so many ways it is a familiar story. Paisley's drama with her so-called best friends. Especially her on-again-off-again best friend, Jen. Paisley's drama with the guys in her life. Her having crushes on two completely different guys (Eric and Clint). Not being sure if either of them like her like her. Not being sure which one she really would want to be with. You know, if they ever actually asked her out. Paisley discovering her hidden talents and growing up just a bit as she realizes that unpopular people matter too. There was something that just worked with this one.

What do you think of the cover of this one? The first one (left) is the paperback cover that matches the look of the second novel, Paisley Hanover Kisses and Tells. The second one (right) is the original hardcover. I really liked the original cover. I thought it matched the style of the book. It is unique. Playful. Quirky. The red hair of the main character is emphasized. I'm not all that sure the new cover gets that right at all.

Other reviews: For the Love of Books, Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf, Reader Rabbit, Harmony Book Reviews, Finding Wonderland.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

This looks good, but when I searched it at my public library, it said "Do you mean Paris Hangover?" Drat.

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

This one sounds like fun. I'm not sure I'd pick it up with either cover though. The original one makes it look like it's a book for younger readers and I'm not sure about the other cover.