Sunday, April 04, 2010

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #14


Happy Easter! I hope you're having a good holiday weekend!

Well, the 24 Hour Read-a-thon is almost upon us. Are you planning on participating either as a reader or a cheerleader? I still haven't signed up officially. But. I imagine that's just a matter of time! Vasilly has a guest post from Doret of The Happy Nappy Bookseller that is definitely worth reading!!! She is making recommendations for the 24 Hour Read-a-thon. I have read some of her recommendations, and definitely agree with her that these would be good choices! I would probably add Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything In It by Sundee T. Frazier. That book has been on my mind lately because I've been reading The Other Half of My Heart also by Frazier. If you've written a post with Read-a-thon recommendations, please leave a link in the comments so I can visit!

I decided to participate in a newish event called the Book Blogger Hop. There's a new hop every Friday at Crazy-for-Books.com. One great thing has come of it so far. I discovered three new blogs that I really like. Playing by the Book. And WhatMissKelleyIsReading. And Stories From My Bookshelf. Some things did surprise me though. I guess I hadn't realized just how very, very popular paranormal romance and urban fantasy are in the blog world!

Note: I've got a new poll in the sidebar! So please share your response.

What I've Reviewed This Week:

Catching Fire. Suzanne Collins. 2009. [September 2009] Scholastic. 400 pages.
Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles. 2010. April 2010. Walker (Bloomsbury) 336 pages.
The Lost Conspiracy. Frances Hardinge. 2009. September 2009. HarperCollins. 576 pages.
The Little Red Hen and the Passover Matzah. By Leslie Kimmelman. Illustrated by Paul Meisel. 2010. February 2010. Holiday House. 32 pages.
Clifford's First Easter. Norman Bridwell. 2010. February 2010. Scholastic. 14 pages.
Ten Little Easter Eggs. By Lily Karr. 2009. February 2009. Scholastic. 8 pages.
Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody. By Maurice Send-Up. Illustrated by Bonnie Leick. 2009. September 2009. Simon & Schuster. 40 pages.
Wee Little Bunny. Lauren Thompson. Illustrated by John Butler. 2010. January 2010. Simon & Schuster. 32 pages.
Who's that Snoring? A Pull-the-Tab Bedtime Book. Jason Chapman. 2010. January 2010. Simon & Schuster. 12 pages.
Porky and Bess. By Ellen Weiss and Mel Friedman. Illustrated by Marsha Winborn. 2010. February 2010. Random House. 48 pages.
Perfect Chemistry. Simone Elkeles. 2008. [December 2008] Walker & Company (Bloomsbury). 368 pages.
You Are So Undead To Me. Stacey Jay. 2009. [January 2009]. Penguin. 272 pages.
Sprig Muslin. Georgette Heyer. 1956/2009. Harlequin. 288 pages.
Girl in the Know. Your Inside-and-Out Guide to Growing Up. By Anne Katz, R.N., Ph.D. Illustrated by Monika Melnychuk. 2010. March 2010. Kids Can Press. 112 pages.
Love Finds You In Homestead, Iowa. Melanie Dobson. 2010. March 2010. Summerside Press. 320 pages.
Be Still, My Soul: Embracing God's Purpose & Provision in Suffering. Edited by Nancy Guthrie. 2010. February 2010. Crossway Books. 176 pages.
As Young As We Feel. Melody Carlson. 2010. March 2010. David C. Cook (Pub). 352 pages.
God's Little Princess Devotional Bible. By Sheila Walsh. 2006. Thomas Nelson. 352 pages.
My First Read-Aloud Bible. Retold by Mary Batchelor & Penny Boshoff. 2010. February 2010. Scholastic. 256 pages.

Reviews Coming Soon:

Dovey Coe by Frances O'Roark Dowell
The Other Half of My Heart by Sundee T. Frazier
Sixteen Brides by Stephanie Grace Whitson
Surviving the Angel of Death: The Story of a Mengele Twin in Auschwitz by Eva Mozes Kor and Lisa Rojany Buccieri.
Scarlett Fever by Maureen Johnson

Currently Reading:


She Walks In Beauty by Siri Mitchell. 2010. April 2010. Bethany House. 400 pages.

What I Hope To Begin/Finish Soon:


The Night Fairy by Laura Amy Schlitz. 2010. February 2010. Candlewick Press. 128 pages.


The Year of Goodbyes by Debbie Levy. 2010. March 2010. Hyperion. 144 pages.


Crispin: The End of Time. Avi. 2010. June 2010. HarperCollins. 240 pages.


The Six Rules of Maybe by Deb Caletti. 2010. March 2010. Simon & Schuster. 321 pages.


Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper. 2010. March 2010. Simon & Schuster. 295 pages.



One Crazy Summer. Rita Williams-Garcia. 2010. [January 2010] HarperCollins. 218 pages.

Challenges Joined:

Read, Remember, Recommend Teen Reading Challenge


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Poll. Well, I've abandoned maybe a handful of books in all my reading years, so - I generally stick with the book till the end. There are very few books that aren't worth finishing - for various reasons that aren't necessarily the obvious ones. I have relatively recently begun to let myself skim rather extensively, though - but only in special cases. L.

Anastasia @ Here There Be Books said...

Avi has a new book coming out! I am so behind on his bibliography, I swear. :(

Vasilly said...

Thanks for mentioning the recommendations! There are so many that Doret mentioned, that I know want to read! Have a great week.

Debi said...

Hope you had a lovely Easter weekend, Becky!

And have fun during the read-a-thon!

Serena said...

Hope you had a great weekend. Looks like you read way more than I did. Have a great week and hope you officially sign up for the read-a-thon!