Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Thief (MG/YA)


The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. 1996. HarperCollins. 224 pages.

I didn't know how long I had been in the king's prison. The days were all the same, except that as each one passed, I was dirtier than before.

Gen is a thief. He's in prison--in Sounis--for boasting that he could steal anything. Well, more precisely that he could steal something from the King. Has he been forgotten? Not exactly. There are those that would have him released from prison so they can use his services. Magus, with the approval of the King, wants Gen to steal something of mythological importance from a neighboring country. Hamiathe's Gift. Can he do it? He must if he wants his freedom! He will embark on a journey, on an adventure, with some interesting companions. Can he turn these enemies into friends?

I really enjoyed The Thief. I loved the world Megan Whalen Turner created. There are three very different countries explored: Sounis, Eddis, Attolia. Different countries, different monarchs, different intrigues, different gods and goddesses. This is a richly detailed fantasy novel. And I thought the storytelling worked well. I would definitely recommend this one!

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

BC said...

The Thief was one of my all-time favorite books when I was a young teen, and I haven't seen a blog review of it until now! yay! I found you through other blog links and am now your newest follower. Come check out my blog as well: http://afairysplayground.blogspot.com/