Saturday, April 10, 2010

Gone (YA)


Gone. Lisa McMann. 2010. February 2010. Simon & Schuster. 214 pages.

24/7/365
It's like she can't breathe anymore, no matter what she does.
Like everything is closing in on her, crowding her.
Threatening her.


Gone is the third in the Wake Trilogy by Lisa McMann. The first two are Wake and Fade. Janie, our dream-catching heroine, is still troubled by the discoveries she made towards the end of the previous book. It seems like every day she's being pushed closer and closer to making the ultimate decision. What will she decide? Who will help her choose? Does she know the whole truth? Can she once and for all accept who she is?

Obviously, I can't talk too much about this one without spoiling Fade. If you've read Fade you'll know Janie's options. You'll know why she's struggling so much. You'll know what she's trying to decide between. And chances are you'll want to pick this one up so you can see what happens next!

I did enjoy the new character introduced in this one.

I don't love this trilogy. I have a few issues with it. Personally, I have a hard time suspending my disbelief when it comes to Janie's powers. And how she uses her power for good. I have a tough time believing in the dreams that she falls into. For me, they felt too convenient, too coincidental, too purposeful, too plot-driven if you know what I mean.

These books are good if you're looking for a quick, compelling read. I couldn't put any of them down. When I'm reading, I get so caught up in the story that I don't question anything. It's only after I've thought about what I've read that these doubts come to mind.


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Maria said...

Too bad you don't like this series as much as I do, personally I can't wait to read Gone :D