Sunday, December 02, 2007

Heaven Looks A Lot Like The Mall


Mass, Wendy. 2007. Heaven Looks A Lot Like The Mall.

When sixteen-year old Tessa suffers a shocking accident in gym class, she finds herself in heaven (or what she thinks is heaven), which happens to bear a striking resemblance to her hometown mall. In the tradition of It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol, Tessa starts reliving her life up until that moment. She sees some things she'd rather forget, learns some things about herself she'd rather not know, and ultimately must find the answer to one burning question--if only she knew what the question was.

Dodgeball. It all starts with a game of dodgeball. Tessa, our narrator, finds a dodgeball heading straight for her head, and instead of ducking, she finds herself philosophizing about life in general and dodgeball in particular.

I could say, in my defense,
the dodgeball is made of rubber.
How much damage
could a rubber ball do?
I am sixteen.
My head is hard.

And who thinks aiming balls
at someone's head is a healthy pursuit
for teenagers hyped up on caffeine?
Apparently dodgeball is banned
in most schools now,
but our principal does not believe
in banning. Our school library
takes pride in its collection of books
that have been banned
elsewhere.


I'll pick up the text a few pages later...

I know the girl on the floor, the one
with her neck bent all weird,
I know the girl is me.
But I'm too busy soaring
toward Heaven to care.

And the thing that is most surprising,
the thing you might not know,
is that in the right light,
Heaven looks a lot like the mall.


Her "guide" whom she calls Nail Boy is going to show her her life through stuff...beginning with a tiny pink shoe....

A Barbie doll in a purple swimsuit
A princess costume
A white fluffy teddy bear with a red bow around the neck
A yellow plastic cup with a daisy on the side
A box of assorted crayons
A hairbrush
A plastic pencil box with Lisa Simpson on it
A small address book with a rainbow on it
A memo pad with my mom's name on it
A glass bowl
A bicycle horn
A Playboy magazine
A brown plastic barette
A sticker that says "I gave today"
A pack of Parliament Menthol Lights
An apron that says "Kiss the Cook"
A red bra
A bear slipper
A red t-shirt
A tube of cheesecake flavored lip gloss
A turquoise tank top
A pair of pink flip-flops
A roll of toilet paper
A large cookie
A bottle cap
A pair of ski goggles
A light blue prom dress


These items will be the medium through which we see Tessa as a person in her own story. What we learn, what she learns, is that she's not a good person. She repetitively has made bad decisions--decisions that subconsciously at least she's not proud of--bad mistakes. She's not nice. She's quite manipulative. The reader sees her--the good, the bad, the ugly--as she sees herself for perhaps the first time in a really long time. I think in part the reason she's reminded more of the negative choices, the negative character traits, is that those are the parts she's ashamed of deep down. (As opposed to her carefree, bubbly, happy times. And isn't it true that we as individuals dwell more on the negative than the positive??? At least when we're having a crisis of conscience???)

Her time in "heaven" may just teach her how to live the rest of her life as someone she can respect and love.

I have this to say about Heaven Looks A Lot Like The Mall. I may not "like" the narrator. I might find her a mean, manipulative person. But I cannot deny that she's human, authentic. No one is perfect. And this fictional character is quite fleshed out with strengths and weaknesses. So you've got to give credit where it's due.

I didn't love, love, love it. But I did enjoy this one. I liked it thoroughly.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have read this book and it's very good. I am righting about it in a report.

Anonymous said...

I read this book, and it was really good and I'm doing it for my book report.

Anonymous said...

I read this book and it was very good. I recomended it to all of my friends and love it too! We enjoy reading books by Wendy Mass. She is such a good writer!

Anonymous said...

So far a good book and i can't wait to meet Wendy Mass. 5/10

Anonymous said...

Becky, I don't agree with you I think this is the best book I've ever read and she's supposed to be mean that's the whole point of the story.Wendy Mass is one of the best authors on Earth.

Anonymous said...

I have read the book 4 times ans I just lost it and now I have to buy it again!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this book. It's the best book I have ever read.