Monday, November 23, 2020

145. The Little Christmas Shop on Nutcracker Lane


The Little Christmas Shop on Nutcracker Lane. Jaimie Admans. 2020. 311 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: My phone beeps with a text message and I look up from the nutcracker bunting I’m painting. Hopefully the guy I’m seeing telling me he’s missing me and he’s sorry I’ve got to work late again. It’s not serious yet, but maybe it could be one day. 

Premise/plot: Nia Maddison, the heroine, is super-super thrilled to be opening her Christmas shop on Nutcracker Lane. She's been working towards this dream for years--if not decades. Nutcracker Lane is MAGICAL at Christmas time--well, it used to be years and years ago. Her best friend, Stacey, makes jewelry and she makes Christmas-y knick knacks. Together they are setting up shop. But this first year might be the last year because a 'Scrooge' business owner is threatening to get rid of Nutcracker Lane altogether. He's been cutting the budget and changing practices for quite a few years now--but could this year really be the last year???

Nia makes a wish on a GIANT nutcracker at the opening of the story...and when she meets another shop owner, James, could it be her wish come to life???? Maybe. Maybe not. Does she believe in magic really???

James, our hero, HATES, HATES, HATES Christmas. But he's falling hard and fast for Nia and her enthusiasm for Christmas might be just the medicine he needs to cure his ills and worries. But will she be a willing teacher? Can he be un-Scrooged? Will Nia do the work of four ghosts/spirits???

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one!!! It was just a delight to read. It would make a LOVELY movie. I could easily add such a movie to my yearly traditions. I just have a weakness for Christmas-y romantic comedies. Even if romantic comedy isn't my normal "thing" the rest of the year. Somehow all the sappy predictability is just perfect in a Christmas read. Is the book predictable? YES, a thousand times yes. Did I mind? Not one little bit. I wouldn't have it any other way. 

I really LOVED that it was a clean read.   

 

© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: