Thursday, November 12, 2020

1965 Hits Archive


Mom and I have finished listening to the 1965 Hits Archive on the45prof's YouTube channel. (We were interrupted by the global outage on November 11, 2020).  

When I told her I spun the wheel for 1965 she was a bit skeptical. "Are you sure you spun the wheel?" I told her if I was "cheating" the wheel spins, I wouldn't be skipping around so much in the years! I would have listened to 1962 or 1964 instead of jumping to 1965.

For some context:

Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Singles of 1965

Billboard Hot 100 Number Ones of 1965

Billboard Hot 100 Top-Ten Singles of 1965

1965 in Music (Wikipedia)

The list opens with Act Naturally by The Beatles. (Well, the alphabetical by SONG TITLE opens with Act Naturally.) Sadly, Mom wasn't able to identify it as RINGO singing. How she's remained oblivious to the Beatles after my twenty-five year obsession is beyond me! But it has to be intentional tuning out, right? 

There were definitely songs that she could "torture" me with and I could "torture" her with on this list. But we also have a good many songs in common for this year. (For example, she loves ODE TO THE LITTLE BROWN SHACK OUT BACK.)

About the playlist overall, there were songs I loved, loved, loved. Songs that made me squeal when they started playing. Songs that I could listen to on repeat for hours on end. Songs that I know most if not all the words. There are some great songs. But. There are also plenty--maybe even a majority?--of songs that I just had no desire to even listen to all the way through--let alone twice. So I can't just say that 1965 was an amazing year that I could "live in" forever. 

Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass -- Taste of Honey;  

The Animals had four songs on the list. My favorite was probably We Gotta Get Out of This Place. (Also It's My Life.)

Rescue Me -- Fontella Bass 

There were five songs by the Beach Boys including Do You Wanna Dance, California Girls, Help Me Rhonda, The Little Girl I Once Knew, and Please Let Me Wonder.

There were seven songs by the Beatles including: Help, Eight Days a Week, Yes It Is, Ticket to Ride, I Don't Want To Spoil the Party, Yesterday, and Act Naturally. 

There were four songs by a group called Beau Brummels. I have never heard of them! Laugh, Laugh; Don't Talk to Strangers; Just a Little; You Tell Me

10 Little Bottles Johnny Bond; reminds me of a hick-a-fied I Love Lucy moment.

There were three songs by the Byrds. Turn, Turn, Turn; Mr. Tambourine Man; All I Really Want To Do.

An unfamiliar to me recording of Land of 1000 Dances. (Cannibal and the Headhunters)

Remember when I said squealing was involved, well HOLD ME, THRILL ME, KISS ME by Mel Carter was one such. 

Four songs by a group called CHAD AND JEREMY. (Again, never heard of them or their songs.) If I Loved You; What Do You Want With Me; Before and After; I Don't Want to Lose You Baby

Five songs by the Dave Clark Five: Over and Over; I Like It Like That; Catch Us If You Can; Come Home; Reelin' and Rockin'. Some were definitely better than others.

Four by Petula Clark. Notably Downtown

Four by Sam Cooke (he died in December 1964). A Change is Gonna Come. Shake. It's Got the Whole World Shaking. Sugar Dumpling

What the World Needs Now Is Love by Jackie DeShannon

There were two dismal songs by Patty Duke. 

There were four songs by the 4 Seasons. I like how on each 45, it's printed featuring the "SOUND" of Frankie Valli. Why the quotation marks???? Let's Hang On; Bye, bye, Baby; Girl Come Running; Don't Think Twice, It's All Right.

I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bun) The Four Tops; one of four songs on the list.

Freddie and the Dreamers had five songs--I didn't care for any of them. And one was really strange.

Gerry and the Pacemakers had 4 songs--You'll Never Walk Alone, I'll Be There; It's Gonna Be Alright; Ferry Cross the Mersey.

Three Lesley Gore songs -- SUNSHINE, LOLLIPOPS, AND RAINBOWS  My Town, My Guy and Me Look of Love

Six songs by Herman's Hermits. Can't You Hear My Heartbeart; Wonderful World; Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter; Silhouettes; I'm Henry the VIII I Am; Just A Little Bit Better

Four songs by Jam and the Americans; Cara Mia; Sunday and Me; Let's Lock the Door; Some Enchanted Evening;

Four Tom Jones songs to suffer through--or not.

Four songs by The Kings: Tired of Waiting for You;  Set Me Free; All Day and All of the Night; Who'll be the Next in Line.

A vocal version of A Summer Place by the Lettermen.

Barbara Lewis -- Baby I'm Yours; Make Me Your Baby

4 songs by Gary Lewis and the Playboys: This Diamond Ring, Count Me In; Save Your Heart for Me; Everybody Loves a Clown;

Do You Believe in Magic -- Lovin' Spoonful. 

5 Songs by Dean Martin-- but I didn't really "love" any of them despite me loving him usually. 

Yes, I'm Ready -- Barbara Mason

Queen of the House -- Jody Miller

Roger Miller time!!!! King of the RoadEngine Engine #9; England Swings; One Dyin' and A Buryin'; Kansas City Star.

Go Now by the Moody Blues

I've Got A Tiger by the Tail by Buck Owens

The Righteous Brothers: You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling; Unchained Melody

There are 4 Rollings Stones including Satisfaction; Get Off My Cloud

Give Him A Great Big Kiss by Shangri-Las

Flowers on the Wall -- Statler Brothers

Five songs by Sonny and Cher; two more by just Cher? I am not the biggest fan.

4 songs by the Supremes including Stop! In the Name of Love; Back in My Arms Again. I Hear A Symphony. Nothing But Heartaches.

My Girl -- The Temptations

A Lover's Concerto -- Toys 

The Turtles It Ain't Me Babe and Let Me Be

An early version of "Get Together" by We Five called LET'S Get together.


© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: