Saturday, November 07, 2020

1956 Hits Archive


Mom and I listened to the 1956 Hits Archive on the45prof's YouTube channel. It has 306 videos. His description of the playlist, "This is a playlist of commercial recordings and songs that proved popular during the calendar year 1956 (some were recorded in 1955) via sales, juke box play, and radio exposure.…plus some others that have gained increased recognition or have been shown to have had an impact during the decades that followed."

The Highlights AND Rejects are very subjective. There are SO MANY Elvis songs. If you're an Elvis fan, you'll know them all. And if you're not...well...I'm not so Elvis-crazy that I'm going to try to persuade you. 

Billboard Year-end top 50 singles of 1956

List of Billboard Number One Singles of 1956

Highlights

The ABC's of Love by Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers. What a wonderful doo-wop song! It was a bright and cheery way to start the list. 

Auctioneer by Leroy Van Dyke. This has been a favorite for about ten years. Mom and Dad both love it. I think I first heard it on XM radio's 50's on 5. 

Be-bop-a-Lula by Gene Vincent. 

Blueberry Hill by Fats Domino (and Louis Armstrong). 

Church Bells May Ring by the Diamonds. Mom said those are mighty strange church bells!

There were three Eddie My Love songs. Teen Queens. Fontane Sisters. Chordettes

Everybody's Got A Home But Me by Roy Hamilton. From "Pipe Dream" a musical based on Steinbeck's Sweet Thursday. HIS VOICE. 

Fabulous Character by Sarah Vaughan. This is the first of her songs that I haven't wanted to skip partway through. I actually enjoyed every moment of it. 

From a School Ring to a Wedding Ring -- Rover Boys. 

Hot Diggity (Dog Ziggity Boom) Perry Como. I'm too allergic to dogs to actually have a dog, but if I did, I'd want to name it ZIGGITY BOOM. 

Hot Dog Buddy Buddy by Bill Haley and the Comets

I Can't Love You Enough by LaVern Baker. 

I Promise to Remember by Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers (also I Want You To Be My Girl)

I Walk the Line Johnny Cash

I've Got You Under My Skin Frank Sinatra. There are SO MANY Sinatra songs in 1956!!!! 

In the Middle of the House. Vaughn Monroe. In the Middle of the House. Rusty Draper. I SQUEALED when I heard this one. Pure awesomeness. It is just as wacky and delightful as some of Roger Miller's songs.

In the Still of the Night by Five Satins

Innamorata. Dean Martin. When a second version played, Mom was like WHO WOULD RECORD THIS SONG AFTER DEAN DID IT? Some songs you just need one version of! (Jerry Vale did it)

It Only Hurts for a Little While Ames Brothers -- Mom said I think the Ames brothers are beginning to grow on me. I concur. We usually don't like their songs...

Just in Time Tony Bennett. This is probably one of the few, few songs I actually really love from Bennett. I am not a big fan of his. 

Ka-ding-dong by The Diamonds. Love Love Love. The Diamonds.

Love Me Tender. Elvis. 

Mack the Knife by Louis Armstrong

The Magic Touch. The Platters.

Memories Are Made of This. Dean Martin. I'm glad I'll never have to choose between Dean and Frank. I love them both. 

Moritat A Theme from Three Penny Opera. FOUR VERSIONS. 

No Not Much by The Four Lads

Poor People of Paris by Les Baxter (there were two other versions as well)

See You Later, Alligator -- Bill Haley and His Comets

Tender Trap -- Frank Sinatra I love, love, love, love this musical with Debbie Reynolds. 

That's All by Tennessee Ernie Ford

Tonight You Belong to Me by Patience & Prudence (also Lawrence Welk

True Love by Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE CRAZY LOVE THIS MUSICAL. (HIGH SOCIETY)

Walk Hand in Hand by Tony Martin

Whatever Will Be, Will be, Que Sera Sera by Doris Day

When You Dance by The Turbans 

Why Do Fools Fall in Love by Frankie Lyman and the Teenagers 

You're Sensational (also in High Society) Frank Sinatra

Rejects

Ape Call by Nervous Norvus with ape calls by Red Blanchard. I have decided that Original Barbie had a younger brother who would play this song on the record player endlessly to drive her crazy.  

Bo Weevil by Teresa Brewer. I am not a fan of the song--but when I actually didn't mind Fats Domino's rendition of Bo Weevil, I decided it was HER. 

Eloise. Kay Thompson. WHO KNEW that the children's book heroine ELOISE had a song????

Flying Saucers part 1 and 2. Buchanan and Goodman productions. 

Glendora Perry Como. A song about a mannequin. 

The Green Door by Jim Lowe. CATCHY but weird. 

The Little Musicians by Hugo Winterhalter. 

Long Tall Sally. Pat Boone.  Bless his heart. Tutti Frutti. Pat Boone. BLESS his heart.

Ninety Nine Years (Dead or Alive) Guy Mitchell

The Old Philosopher by Eddie Lawrence

Transfusion by Nervous Norvus

© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: