Friday, November 13, 2020

1951 HIts Archive


Mom and I listened to the 1951 Hits Archive on the45prof's YouTube channel. We listen alphabetically by song title. But I've really grown to love reviewing the playlist by scrolling through and re-listening to songs via the alphabetical by artist playlist. I love that he gives options! Here is what he writes about the playlist, "This is a playlist of commercial recordings and songs that proved popular during the calendar year 1951 (some were recorded in 1950) via sales, juke box play, and radio exposure.…plus some others that have gained increased recognition or have been shown to have had an impact during the decades that followed."

Billboard Number One Singles of 1951

Billboard Year-End Top 30 Singles of 1951

Ames Brothers

  • Undecided  I really LOVE this song!!! 
  • Sentimental Journey. I was familiar with the Doris Day version; this is nice--mostly instrumental with the vocals coming much later in the song--about halfway through.
  • Hawaiin War Chant 
  • I could not make it through the Wang Wang Blues.

Leroy Anderson -- The Syncopated ClockTrumpeter's Lullaby

Be My Love appears twice on the list. But I much prefer the Ray Anthony and His Orchestra with vocals by Ronnie Deauville.

 Undecided -- Ray Anthony Orchestra with vocals by Tommy Mercer and Gloria Craig and the Skyliners. I really adore both versions. I could see listening to this on again-again mode. It's just so DELIGHTFULLY flirty and swinging.

 Louis Armstrong -- I Get Ideas. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Louis Armstrong. And I love this song too. 

There were FOUR versions of Because of You. I know which one is my least favorite--Tony Bennett. But I'm not sure which one of the other three I love best. Les Baxter. Tab Smith; Guy Lombardo and Gloria DeHaven

Tony Bennett had several songs on the list, but the only one I like is I Won't Cry Anymore.

There is the novelty record I Taut I Taw a Puddy Tat by MEL BLANC

Vanity Don Cherry. Don't tease me in the notes with versions by Sarah Vaughan and Tony Martin if you're not going to include them too! I searched them out. (I *think* I prefer the Tony Martin. But the Sarah Vaughan is very nice.)

There are THREE versions of this next song. It's called "Sin" (with quotation marks) by The Four Aces, It's No Sin by Eddy Howard and His Orchestra; (It's No) Sin by Savannah Churchill.

Rosemary Clooney's Come On-a My House and an answer song by Robert Q. Lewis. Where's-a-Your-House.

There were two Beautiful Brown Eyes. One by Rosemary Clooney and one by Jimmy Wakely and Les Baxter

Mixed Emotions by Rosemary Clooney; 

There are FOUR songs by Nat King Cole. Too Young; Jet; Unforgettable; Red Sails in the Sunset

There are FIVE songs by Perry Como: You're Just In Love; Hello, Young Lovers; Zing Zing Zoom Zoom; If; It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas. 

There are FOUR songs by Bing Crosby. Sparrow in the Tree Top; When You and I Were Young; In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening; Moonlight Bay

There were FIVE by Vic Damone: Longing for YouWonder Why; My Truly Truly Fair; My Heart Cries for You; Calla Calla

Two songs by Doris Day: Would I Love You (Love You, Love You) with Harry James; Shanghai

Sixty Minute Man by The Dominoes. "Though hardly the type of song to receive widespread exposure on most major radio stations in 1951, this suggestive rhythm & blues number by Billy Ward’s group was such a huge R&B hit (#1 for 14 weeks) that it also attracted enough measurable ‘mainstream’ record sales and juke box play to gain entry to the pop chart listings as well."

Billy Eckstine -- I Apologize

Tommy Edwards' It's All In the Game; The Morningside of the Mountain.

FOUR songs by Eddie Fisher. Now, I usually HATE Fisher. But. I didn't hate his 1951 numbers. (Not that I loved them.) Bring Back the Thrill. Turn Back the Hands of Time. I'll Hold You In My Heart. Unless. My favorite is probably I'll Hold YOu In My Heart.

Tennessee Ernie Ford offers the SHOT GUN BOOGIE.  

I've Got You Under My Skin -- Stan Freberg; this is a COMEDY SKETCH; GIVE IT AT LEAST A Minute OR SO BEFORE REJECTING IT. YOU'LL BE TEMPTED TO SKIP IT. Now one you have my blessing to skip is JOHN AND MARSHA also by Freberg.

Two songs by Georgia Gibbs: While You Danced, Danced, Danced; I Still Feel the Same About You.  

There were THREE versions of ON TOP OF OLD SMOKY. Weavers & Terry Gilkyson. Burl Ives & Percy Faith. Vaughn Monroe.

It Is No Secret (What God Can Do) Bill Kenny & the Song Spinners

There were seven songs starring Frankie Laine--sometimes solos, sometimes duets. My favorite was Pretty Eyed Baby which he sang with Jo Stafford. Their cover of Hey, Good Lookin'

Three by Mario Lanza--I don't care for his style/singing. But I might like The Loveliest Night of the Year if it was sung by someone else.

Get Out Those Old Records -- Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians

There were four versions of Tennessee Waltz. Patti Page. Les Paul and Mary Ford. Guy Lombardo's Orchestra and Kenny Gardner. Jo Stafford

Never Been Kissed -- Freddy Martin and His Orchestra; Vocal Refrain by Merv Griffin.  

Tony Martin -- I Get IdeasDomino; A Penny a Kiss (A Penny a Hug) with Dinah Shore

Seven songs by Guy Mitchell; My Truly Truly Fair; My Heart Cries for You; Belle Belle My Liberty Belle; I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You; Sparrow in the Tree Top; The Roving Kind; Unless

Old Soldiers Never Die. Vaughn Monroe. 

Seven by Patti Page. Mockin' Bird Hill; Down the Trail of Achin' Hearts; Detour; And So To Sleep Again; Would I Love You (Love You Love YOu). Mister and Mississippi.

Ten featuring Les Paul. Sometimes with, sometimes without Mary Ford. I'll just link to a few. The World Is Waiting for the Sunrise. How High the Moon.

Aba Daba Honeymoon -- Debbie Reynolds & Carleton Carpenter (there were two versions in 1951)

Three songs by Frank Sinatra -- We Kiss In A Shadow; Castle Rock; I'm A Fool To Want You

If by Jo Stafford; it was nice to hear a female version of this.  She also did Shrimp Boats

And just in case you aren't already humming My Heart Cries for You.... Jimmy Wakely. Dinah Shore

So Long (It's Been Good To Know You) Weavers & Gordon Jenkins

And another version of Shanghai by Billy Williams Quartet


© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: