Wednesday, November 11, 2020

1963 Hits Archive


Mom and I just finished listening to the 1963 Hits Archive on the45prof's YouTube channel. He writes, "Arranged in song-title order, this is one of the45prof’s three* differently-structured playlists of 1963 popular music, as reflected in record sales, jukebox play & radio exposure, and assembled for this collection with the invaluable chart reference help of Joel Whitburn’s ‘Record Research’ publications. These are primarily the ‘hit version’ mono commercial recordings which achieved their greatest popularity during the calendar year 1963 (some of the titles began their national chart run prior to the end of 1962). Note that though the original 45rpm single record label scans are displayed for reference, the actual music you hear may originate from 45, LP, CD, or other digital sources."

For context, here are the links to 

 I have mixed feelings on 1963. On the one hand, we have THE FOUR SEASONS and BEACH BOYS not to mention all those wonderful GIRL GROUPS that are iconic for the sixties--early sixties, in particular. There's also PETER, PAUL, AND MARY. On the other hand, there were so many songs that I just didn't care for when all is said and done. 

Novelty songs, surfin' songs, teen drama/melodrama, loving, leaving, crying, and dancing...this year offers a bit of everything. 

I think for 'review' purposes, I'm going to use the archive that arranges by artist.

My Boyfriend's Back by the Angels. Chances are you're familiar with this one, but did you hear the ANSWER SONG from the 'other' guy's perspective??? Bob Comstock's Your Boyfriend's Back

Remember Diana -- Paul Anka. This is an "angry" melodramatic sequel song to Anka's oh-so-famous "Diana" from 1957.  

There are SIX songs from the Beach Boys. Surfin' USA, In My Room, Little Deuce Coupe, Be True to Your School, Surfer Girl, Shut Down 

Tony Bennett's The Good Life is one of two or three Bennett songs that I actually like. (There were three Bennett songs on the 1963 playlist)

Brook Benton. There were four of his songs. I enjoyed them all. Two Tickets to Paradise. My True Confession. Dearer than Life. I Got What I Wanted

Call on Me by Bobby Bland

If You Need Me Solomon Burke; You're Good for Me Solomon Burke

Rhythm of the Rain -- The Cascades (The Last Leaf)

Ring of Fire -- Johnny Cash

There were five Ray Charles songs--I'm not including them because I'm not a big fan.

There were six Chubby Checker songs. But they're not as glorious as some of his earlier hits. Twist It Up; Twenty Miles; Loddy Lo; Let's Limbo Some More; Birdland; Surf Party

I am most familiar with the Chiffons' He's So Fine and One Fine Day. But this list introduced me to I Have A Boyfriend and A Love So Fine

Sweet Dreams Of You -- Patsy Cline (her last single, I think?)

There were three Nat King Cole songs. Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer; That Sunday That Summer; All Over the World

Perry Como's I Love You Don't You Forget It-- super super catchy

There were four Sam Cooke songs on the list. My favorite was Another Saturday Night

The Crystals' have three songs Da Doo Ron Ron and Then He Kissed Me and He's Sure The Boy I Love.

Johnny Cymbal's Mr. Bass Man. And the ANSWER SONG Mr. Tenor Man by Lou Christie. 

It was a very confusing year for Bobby Darin--he couldn't make up what sound he wanted to sing in...

Pin A Medal on Joey by James Darren --one of the more interesting break up songs

The End of the World Skeeter Davis. I Can't Stay Mad at You...well, I want to intervene with the singer's persona...

Donna The Prima Donna -- Dion 

Only one Fats Domino in 1963???? And it wasn't spectacular.

September Song by Jimmy Durante 

Remember Then -- The Earls. Doo-wop goodness.

Tell Him. The Exciters.

Five songs from The Four Seasons Candy Girl, Marlena, Walk Like a Man, Ain't That A Shame, New Mexican Rose. 

Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs Sugar Shack

I'm Confessing that I Love You-- Frank Ifield; Lovesick Blues

Jan and Dean offer three songs: Surf City; Linda; Honolulu Lulu 

Louie Louie Kingsmen 

There were six Brenda Lee songs. I have really grown to appreciate her mighty voice. My favorite is She'll Never Know.

Hello Stranger -- Barbara Lewis

Darlene Love. Wait Til My Bobby Gets Home. Today I Met The Boy I'm Gonna Marry

Six Rick Nelson songs.

Danke Schoen Wayne Newton

4 Peter, Paul, and Mary including Puff the Magic Dragon

4 Elvis

 Denise -- Randy & the Rainbows

Please Don't Talk to the Lifeguard Diane Ray

Be My Baby -- Ronettes one of my FAVORITE SONGS

Our Day Will Come Ruby & the Romantics

Wipe Out Surfaris

Just One Look Doris Troy

Two Lovers -- Mary Wells

Can't Get Used to Losing You Andy Williams

REJECTS

Everybody Monkey Freddy Cannon

Surfin' Hootenanny Al Casey and Hootenanny Glencoves

Hot Pastrami by Dartells

Hot Pastrami with Mashed Potatoes by Joey Dee and the Starliters

Sun Arise -- Rolf Harris

Que Sera Sera High Keyes; NOT like Doris Day's classic; a comment says that it's the 4 seasons providing background vocals. Don't know if that's true or not--but if true, it might be worth listening through. 

Down the Aisle Pattie Labelle and the Bluebelles

Old Smokey Locomotion Little Eva

Mickey's Monkey -- Miracles

Pepino the Italian Mouse -- Lou Monte

The Cinnamon Cinder -- Pastel Six

Martian Hop The Ran-Dells

Little Latin Lupe Lu -- The RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS; Unchained Melody Vito & The Salutations.

Tom Cat -- Rooftop Singers

© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: