Sunday, November 01, 2020

1960 Hits Archive


The next year Mom and I decided to tackle was 1960. We recently listened--with only a fractional number of skips--to the 1960 Hits Archive uploaded on the45prof YouTube channel.
This is his description, "Arranged in song-title order, this is one of the45prof’s three* differently-structured playlists of 1960 popular music, as reflected in record sales, jukebox play & radio exposure, and assembled for this collection with the invaluable chart reference help of Joel Whitburn’s ‘Record Research’ publications. These are primarily the ‘hit version’ mono commercial recordings which achieved their greatest popularity during the calendar year 1960 (some of the titles began their national chart run prior to the end of 1959)."

Billboards Top 100 year-end songs of 1960.

 Billboard's #1 songs from 1960 -- there are 42 of them.

There are 345 videos in this list! As compared to the 1955 Hits Archive, this one has fewer repeats. One notable exception was four different renditions of LOOK FOR A STAR.

There was a good balancing blend of styles and tempos. This list was considerably longer than the 1955 list. I did notice more country and more R&B. And a good many instrumentals as well. 

I thought I would begin with a list of my top 5 REJECTS. 

  1. Yogi by Ivy Three. There are NO words. 
  2. Twistin' Bells -- Santo & Johnny. Truly hurts the ears--an instrumental version of Jingle Bells that attempts to jump on the new trend of TWISTing.
  3. Mr. Custer. Larry Verne. I am shocked that this song actually was a #1 record?! 
  4. I Shot Mr. Lee. The Bobbettes. This song is seriously disturbing since the subject is MURDER and the style is doo-wop.  
  5. Let's Have A Party. Wanda Jackson. Her voice is taste-specific. But mom, dad, and I agree she can't sing.

There were songs that I have loved, loved, loved for many years. Like THE TWIST by Chubby Checker. This song has seriously been in my top favorite songs ever, ever, ever for decades.

Other favorites include 

  1. Devil or Angel by Bobby Vee
  2. He Will Break Your Heart by Jerry Butler
  3. Little Bitty Pretty One by Frankie Lymon
  4. Save the Last Dance for Me by The Drifters 
  5. Stay by Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs
  6. Theme from Summer Place by Percy Faith 
  7. Beyond the Sea by Bobby Darin

One thing that absolutely delighted me were songs that fit together. I'm assuming intentionally.

He'll Have To Go Jim Reeves AND He'll Have To Stay by Jeanne Black.

Please Help Me I'm Falling by Hank Locklin AND (I Can't Help You) I'm Falling Too by Skeeter Davis

Save the Last Dance for Me the Drifters AND Your Other Love by The Flamingos.

Other highlights:

Let's Think About Living by Bob Luman. I absolutely LOVED this new-to-me song. It was a hoot! And I agree completely that there were WAY TOO MANY songs about dying and death!!!! 

Patti Page's One Of Us Will Weep Tonight (another 1960 hit) was referenced in Luman's song (see above).

El Paso by Marty Robbins. This melody has to be the catchiest tune ever. It's one of my favorite tunes. (That being said I have never really listened to the lyrics and got swept up in the story.)

Baciare Baciare Dorothy Collins. This song had my sides aching because I couldn't stop laughing. "They kiss while they're whistling...who knows what we're missing if we don't start kissing this way."

I love Debbie Reynold's Am I That Easy To Forget.

Beatnik Fly by Johnny and the Hurricans was a HOOT as well.  You'll never think of Jimmy Crack Corn in quite the same way.

Mom's favorite is North To Alaska by Johnny Horton. Horton is one of her favorite, favorite, favorites. 

© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: