Sunday, November 22, 2020

Irving Berlin's Holiday Inn (Broadway Musical)


So I saw this on PBS on Friday night. I really miss the days when anyone could watch a program again on PBS within a week or two of broadcast. I'd watch it again again. Just to firm up some of my thoughts on it. It doesn't seem to be available to purchase either. Though it can be streamed on one of Amazon's prime channels--Broadway HD. I am hoping that maybe it will replay on PBS again before Christmas.

What should you know? Well. It is quite different from the original movie. Not great different. Not bad different. Just different-different. 

Once you accept the fact that NO actor can ever replace Fred Astaire or Bing Crosby, you can enjoy it for what it is. 

The tone is quite different. The musical is very much a COMEDY. It was written to get a lot of laughs--and they are well-deserved laughs and not pity laughs. Perhaps because they knew that these actors would need something extra since they are not Crosby and Astaire. (Though I will say that the movie has its funny moments too! Its quotable moments). 

It fleshes out the characters and the storytelling. (There are no quick montages to get you from year to year.) I really LOVED how they changed Linda Mason's character. She stole the show--in my opinion. I loved that she was a school teacher. I loved that she wasn't really smitten with show business or seeking the spotlight in any way whatsoever. I loved that she wasn't fame-hungry and ever seeking to make it big. I loved that she was comfortable right where she was--and she was very much interested in HIM for him. 

They changed some motivations and intentions. For example, instead of Jim plotting to keep Linda away from the Hollywood talent agents--it was someone else--and he was actually just as clueless as can be. 

They also sidestepped some of the problematic imagery. While the film probably wasn't seen in a negative, offensive way by the majority of the original audience, the film hasn't aged flawlessly.  That being said, I really do love the original movie--and if there are scenes that make me cringe a bit--they are easily skipped. 

The ending of the movie was MAGICAL. (Especially the Hollywood movie set, but also the big dance number ending as Holiday Inn reopens.) But the ending of the musical was REALLY good. I loved, loved, loved....

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

A

L

E

R

T

seeing the WEDDING of Jim and Linda. It was GLORIOUS to see these two get married. And Cheek to Cheek has always been one of my favorite, favorite, favorite songs.

 

© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Hi, Becky! I just purchased the 75th anniversary edition of Holiday Inn and the musical is included in that edition. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PZQHRH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_PDeVFb188K7BT

Becky said...

Thank you!!! I'll add it to my wish list--or see if my sister has that edition already! I have an older DVD copy.

Bridget R. Wilson said...

You're welcome! I already had an older DVD, too--the one with the colorized version + CD + B&W version. But the price was right and after your review, I'm really looking forward to watching the musical.