Sunday, June 01, 2008

Is 28 narrowed down enough?

The 48 Hour Read-a-thon is coming...roughly four or five days away...and I want to be prepared....I'm not naive enough to think I can get to all 28. Last year I think I read around 8. I'd be happy to just up it a little...say 10 or 12. I'd love to finish 15. But I'd be happy with 10.



The Underneath by Kathi Appelt
Peeled by Joan Bauer
Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor
March Through Thunder by Joseph Bruchac
A Curse Dark As Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce
Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Childs
Take Me There by Susane Colasanti
The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner
Newes From the Dead by Mary Hooper
The Lost Queen by Frewin Jones
The Sorcerer King by Frewin Jones
Savvy by Ingrid Law
The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry
Jessie's Mountain by Kerry Madden
Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus
Princess Ben by Catherine Murdock
Aurelia by Anne Osterlund
The Search for the Red Dragon by James A. Owen
Blue Like Frieday by Siobhan Parkinson
The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson
Steams of Babel by Carol Plum-Ucci
Starcross by Philip Reeve
Three Little Words: A Memoir by Ashley Rhodes-Courter
Secrets of the Cirque Medrano by Elaine Scott
Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott
Big Fat Manifesto by Susan Vaught
Climbing the Stairs by Padma Venkatraman
The Floating Circus by Tracie Vaughn Zimmer

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Holy Cow! THAT'S a lot of books! I would love to be able to particapate in one of these read-a-thon's, but my life just doesn't allow it. There's work, and if not work, kids, husband, house (and icky housework!). I just can't do it.

But I'm all over cheering you guys on!

Sarah Miller said...

You have got some seriously GOOD STUFF in there!

This would be my recommended shortlist:
Peeled by Joan Bauer
Newes From the Dead by Mary Hooper
Savvy by Ingrid Law
The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry
Princess Ben by Catherine Murdock
The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson
Steams of Babel by Carol Plum-Ucci
Three Little Words: A Memoir by Ashley Rhodes-Courter
The Floating Circus by Tracie Vaughn Zimmer

They're not all skinny books, but they'll keep the pages turning. (OK, I haven't actually read Savvy, but I wanna.)

The Underneath is fan-bloody-tastic, but you might think about saving it for another time -- it's the sort of writing that deserves a slow, savoring read.

Becky said...

Thanks, Sarah.

I will definitely take your shortlist into recommendation. I want to read The Underneath, but you're right. It might need to be read at a time when it can be savored. But I've heard *so* many good things about it.

Becky

Jennie said...

You totally need more books than you can handle. That way, if you're just not in the mood for something, you can put it down and pick up something else. I have around 60 books on tap for the weekend. I won't read anywhere near all of them, but I'll have a wide selection at my fingertips so I'll always love what I'm reading!