Friday, June 13, 2008

A Countess Below Stairs

A Countess Below Stairs

Ibbotson, Eva. 1997. (2007?) A Countess Below Stairs.

This one is a fun one. One that has been in my TBR pile for quite a while. Probably since January or February 2007 when I saw it reviewed on one of my favorite blogs. Our heroine, Anna, was born a countess in Russia. But World War I and Russia's own Bolshevik Revolution, changes her destiny (if you want to be dramatic) or her station in life (if you don't). Anna flees along with most of her family (minus her poor father who didn't survive) to England. There Anna finds employment as a maid though it is apparent to all whom she encounters that she was not born for that life, her manners, her mannerisms, the way she carries herself speak of class and grace. The family for whom she is working has a son, Rupert, who is newly home from the war. He brings with him his future wife--a truly appalling woman named Muriel. But try as he may, Rupert can't help but notice how extraordinary and beautiful this new servant is.

If you love historical romance, then you'll want to make time for A Countess Below Stairs. A bit predictable? Maybe. But that's not a bad thing. It makes for a nice indulgently satisfying read. There were so many things I enjoyed about this one.

This review is also too good to be missed.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got around to reading her books. The reason I love Eva Ibbotson is her quirky characters. The "good guy" could be and unattractive women with facial hair. I hope you try another one someday.

Jill said...

I enjoyed this one, too Becky. Yes, it was a bit predictable, but I enjoyed it every step of the way, with characters like those. Very fun!