Saturday, October 18, 2008

Anne's House of Dreams


Montgomery, L.M. 1922. Anne's House of Dreams.

Anne's House of Dreams is the perfect blend of bittersweet and happily ever aftering. Anne Shirley has married Gilbert Blythe. She's Anne Blythe now. (Later on she's "Mrs. Dr. Dear" but that won't be until Anne of Ingleside.) The Blythes are moving away from Avonlea and settling down in Glen St. Mary/Four Winds Point. They've got a little cottage by the sea. (There is a brook nearby so Anne is happy.) The book tells of the first few years of wedded bliss for the two. (Though the couple is not without its heartaches as they lose their first baby, Joy, the very day its born.)

Anne's House of Dreams introduces many new characters--some of my favorites I admit--Captain Jim, Miss Cornelia, Leslie Moore, Owen Ford. Marshall Elliot. Susan Baker. Who would ever want to forget their stories? Captain Jim's life-book. Leslie Moore's tragic past but enduring spirit. Miss Cornelia. She's got to be one-of-a-kind. Just a truly spirited character with so much heart and full of gumption. Practically everything out of her mouth is quotable. She sure is great at banter :)

I love this book. I do.


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Marjorie said...

You make me want to go straight to my bookshelf and start reading it all over again! The trouble is, whenever I do that, I have to read them all again and I just don't have the time at the moment :-) You're right about all those lovely new characters that appear at this point.

Bybee said...

I'm looking forward to getting to this book -- I'm at Anne Of Windy Poplars right now, and it feels like the story is stalled a little. I skimmed your review in case there were any spoilers!

Looks like you're doing a great job with your reading. Yay, Becky!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this one, too! I especially love Leslie's story--so tragic, with such a happy ending (later). I need to brush up on my LM Montgomery--it has been a while. Thanks for the reminder!

tinylittlelibrarian said...

Ah, Anne, I love her so! I always thought "house of dreams" was such a lovely phrase. Anne has lots of lovely phrases - I still use "kindred spirits".