Sunday, October 05, 2008

The Sunday Salon: It's October!

What I'm reading...

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. The saga continues. I was just about ready to give this one up, when it took a turn for the better. So while I haven't read in it every single day this week, there was one day when I read about 120 pages! (Unfortunately, I still have about five hundred to go.)

Xenocide by Orson Scott Card. I'm reading this for the 'X' portion of the A to Z Challenge. It is in the Ender series. It's the book right after Speaker for the Dead. (Which is the first sequel to Ender's Game. Which is my favorite, favorite, favorite book). I must not be in the mood for it this time around. The portions narrated by the OCD people of "The Path" are boring me to tears. The other narrators hold my interest a bit more. But I'm persevering because goodness knows I'm not going to find any other X titles that would be any better.

I've been trying to read a children's or young adult book every day or every other day. So I'm not currently in the middle of reading one. I'll be looking to choose another in the next hour or so.

What I'm looking forward to...

Tomorrow night is our October Librarians' Choices meeting!

The Cybils are open now! And nominations will remain open through October 15th. Any one is welcome to participate. But there always seem to be people who don't read the rules. Even though the rules are clearly laid out. I don't get this. (I'm not nitpicking on those that blend 2000ish+ titles (especially 2007 or 2006)...but nominating books from twenty or thirty years ago? Just saying.)

I'm getting together with my friend Cynda this week. I haven't seen her since July. So that will be great fun :)

And the 24 Hour Readathon is coming soon. October 18th. I know it will be here before I know it. It only *seems* to be a few weeks away.

If you want to submit a link (a post) for the October Bookworms Carnival (theme is literary gothic) then email me at laney_poATyahooDOTcom The deadline is *supposedly* October 12th. But I'll extend it through October 16th. (I'll try to have the carnival up a few days after that.)

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Serena said...

I unfortunately must have missed one of the rules in my speed reading like a dope. Ugh, but do I get some slack since this is my first time participating in the Cybils Awards? LOL

One of these days I will learn to slow down while reading the rules...This should teach me a lesson.

chrisa511 said...

You're so lucky! All of those chances to meet OSC! I still haven't met him :( He doesn't come to New Orleans for some reason. One of these days though, one of these days.

Xenocide is one of my favorites of his, but I can see how you definitely need to be in the right mood in order to read that one. Hope it picks up for you!

Anonymous said...

So glad that The Count is taking a turn for the better. I loved that book! Orson Scott Card comes to SLC a lot but I haven't been to any of his appearances. But then again maybe I should read one of his books first.

Liz said...

I'm reading "Resolution" by Robert Parker. Much like his Spenser books, only set in the old Wild West!

And I just finished a book I'm raving about, Recovering Charles. It's a fractured family, dealing with personal tragedies and struggles (addiction, isolation), and a son who does not know he's lost. The past rears its ugly head in a phone call, asking him to come find his father in post-Katrina New Orleans. And the recovery -- physical and emotional -- begins. Such great writing and such a good story.

Debi said...

Oh Becky, Becky, Becky! How do you do it all?!! I'm serious...how do you fit so much into each day?!!