Thursday, October 02, 2008

BTT: Best?

btt button

What, in your opinion, is the best book that you haven’t liked? Mind you, I don’t mean your most-hated book–oh, no. I mean the most accomplished, skilled, well-written, impressive book that you just simply didn’t like.

Like, for movies–I can acknowledge that Citizen Kane is a tour de force and is all sorts of wonderful, cinematically speaking, but . . . I just don’t like it. I find it impressive and quite an accomplishment, but it’s not my cup of tea.

So . . . what book (or books) is your Citizen Kane?

I *think* the answer would be Octavian Nothing--volume 1. This book won more awards--somewhere upwards of fifteen or sixteen. Yet, I simply could not get into the story. At least not until the very very end.

Part of me is curious if it was a timing problem. If I just wasn't in the right time and place and frame of mind. Other parts of me thinks it was the book's problem--it was B-O-R-I-N-G. We'll see, I suppose, because I'm contemplating tackling this one again before reading Octavian Nothing Volume 2 which has either just been released, or will be released later on this month. We'll see.

NOTE: While exploring this week's BTT question, I discovered this wonderful giveaway going on at Devourer of Books.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I've never read that title, but I left a list of three others. I could add to it now that I've had more time to think. Come visit.

BTW: I'm doing a book giveaway too!

Carrie said...

I haven't read that one either.

Kim L said...

I read this one, but I absolutely loved it. I've definitely seen some mixed reactions online to this book, but I really liked M.T. Anderson's book Feed, so perhaps I was predisposed to like this. Something about it struck me.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Good choice, alot of the kids at the school library returned this book with complaints. I tried reading it to find out why, and I disliked it also. I think it would have appealed to the kids had it been less wordy.

Jennie said...

Hatchet. Ugh. I really hate that book. BUT! I know it's a good book and I hand it out to kids ALL THE TIME because they really like it, but I just cannot stand it.