Monday, October 20, 2008

Bookworms Carnival: Literary Gothic Novels


Welcome to the October edition of The Bookworms Carnival. The spotlight this month is on gothic novels. Specifically literary gothic novels. (Of course, any time the word "literary" is used, it can be subjective!)

Even if you haven't submitted a post to the carnival, I would invite you all to participate in the carnival by answering this question: "What is YOUR favorite gothic read?" It can be old or new...literary or un...sophisticated or downright silly and satisfying. Answer in the comments OR write a post and come back to share a link. Or if that one doesn't quite get you thinking...how about WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER TO BE THE MOST-ESSENTIAL, MUST-READ book for this time of year?

Classic fiction....

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Reviewed by: Melissa, Becky, Adventures In Reading. The Bookworm. Dreaming Out Loud. Here, There, and Everywhere.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Reviewed by: Adventures in Reading. Becky. Dewey. Pardon My French. Just What You Want. Mari. Raising Pennsylvania. Melissa.

The Mysteries of Udolpho
by Ann Radcliffe

Reviewed by The Bluestocking Guide, Becky,

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.

Reviewed by: The Bookling. Becky. Life and Times of a New New Yorker. The Novel World
Carla from My Little Corner. Everyday Reads. The Bluestocking Guide.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow And Other Stories by Washington Irving.

Reviewed by Rebecca. Becky. Raising Pennsylvania.

The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole

Reviewed by Nymeth of Things Mean A Lot. Framed and Booked.

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James reviewed by Alessandra. The Life & Times of a New New Yorker. Booknotes by Lisa.

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Reviewed by Jessica. Treading Carefully. Here, There, and Everywhere. Things Mean A Lot. The Bluestocking Society. Everyday reads.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Reviewed by Reading to Know. Becky.

The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins reviewed by SassyMonkey.

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte reviewed by Books I Done Read.

Gothic Tales by Elizabeth Gaskell reviewed by Just Books.

New Classics

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Reviewed by: Brenda. Becky. Framed & Booked. Pardon My French. So I Was Thinking. Biblioaddict. Kim.

Some gothic poetry reviewed by Kelly Fineman. My Last Duchess. Porphyria's Lover.

Other books with a gothic feel...

The Lost Clue by Mrs. O.F. Walton. Reviewed by Rebecca's Bookshelf.
The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. Reviewed by Bart.
The Foreshadowing by Marcus Sedgwick. Reviewed by Bart.

To find out more about "literary gothic" novels, visit this website.
Want to hear some gothic tales...visit this website.
To read more reviews of Halloween-appropriate books, visit this website.
To find out more about the Bookworms Carnival, visit this website.

There will be TWO bookworms carnivals in the month of November:

Edition 17 hosted by: Dewey at The Hidden Side of a Leaf
Deadline for submission: November 14, 2008
Theme: graphic novels
To submit a post, email: dewpie at gmail dot com

Edition 18 hosted by: Bookopolis
Deadline for submission: November 28, 2008
Theme: Memoirs
To submit a post, email: preferred.stock at gmail dot com

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

11 comments:

Rebecca Reid said...

Thanks for hosting! I look forward to reading the reviews in the coming days!

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky-I had a random, off-topic question for you. I noticed that you do author interviews. Have you ever interviewed an author who received an average or poor review? I'm SO curious.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this great list, Becky! I'm looking out for 'Nortanger Abbey' as that's the only Jane Austen I've not read :)

Debi said...

Looks like a wonderful Carnival, Becky! Can't wait to get around to all the posts. Thanks.

Ana S. said...

Thanks for hosting, Becky. This is a great edition. I look forward to reading all the posts.

Kim L said...

Great carnival! I think the quintessential Gothic read is Jane Eyre, but as far as the book of the moment, it seems to be The Thirteenth Tale. I have seen that book everywhere!

Lightheaded said...

Hello Becky! I forgot to submit anything for this month's carnival but I'm so thankful that you included a post of mine anyway. Thank you so very much!

Can't wait to visit the other posts included here!

Anonymous said...

Great carnival...thank you so much for including me!!

Anonymous said...

I love Gothic literature. I was going to finish reading The Picture of Dorian Grey, but completely forgot about it since I'm buried under a bunch of book reviews at the moment.

I've read a lot of these, or portions of them, but I think I'm going to be adding a few to my TBR list. Great selection reviewers!

My Spanish capstone class was Narrativa Gotica y Fantistica (Gothic & Fantastic Narratives). It was awesome and I was introduced to so many others. I can highly recommend Rapaccini's Daughter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Chrisbookarama said...

Jane Eyre, Dracula, Frankenstein: those are some of my favorites.

Dewey said...

The carnival looks great! Thank you for hosting. Love the images.