Monday, October 20, 2008

Bookworms Carnival: Literary Gothic Novels


Welcome to the October edition of The Bookworms Carnival. The spotlight this month is on gothic novels. Specifically literary gothic novels. (Of course, any time the word "literary" is used, it can be subjective!)

Even if you haven't submitted a post to the carnival, I would invite you all to participate in the carnival by answering this question: "What is YOUR favorite gothic read?" It can be old or new...literary or un...sophisticated or downright silly and satisfying. Answer in the comments OR write a post and come back to share a link. Or if that one doesn't quite get you thinking...how about WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER TO BE THE MOST-ESSENTIAL, MUST-READ book for this time of year?

Classic fiction....

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Reviewed by: Melissa, Becky, Adventures In Reading. The Bookworm. Dreaming Out Loud. Here, There, and Everywhere.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Reviewed by: Adventures in Reading. Becky. Dewey. Pardon My French. Just What You Want. Mari. Raising Pennsylvania. Melissa.

The Mysteries of Udolpho
by Ann Radcliffe

Reviewed by The Bluestocking Guide, Becky,

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.

Reviewed by: The Bookling. Becky. Life and Times of a New New Yorker. The Novel World
Carla from My Little Corner. Everyday Reads. The Bluestocking Guide.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow And Other Stories by Washington Irving.

Reviewed by Rebecca. Becky. Raising Pennsylvania.

The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole

Reviewed by Nymeth of Things Mean A Lot. Framed and Booked.

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James reviewed by Alessandra. The Life & Times of a New New Yorker. Booknotes by Lisa.

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Reviewed by Jessica. Treading Carefully. Here, There, and Everywhere. Things Mean A Lot. The Bluestocking Society. Everyday reads.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Reviewed by Reading to Know. Becky.

The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins reviewed by SassyMonkey.

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte reviewed by Books I Done Read.

Gothic Tales by Elizabeth Gaskell reviewed by Just Books.

New Classics

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Reviewed by: Brenda. Becky. Framed & Booked. Pardon My French. So I Was Thinking. Biblioaddict. Kim.

Some gothic poetry reviewed by Kelly Fineman. My Last Duchess. Porphyria's Lover.

Other books with a gothic feel...

The Lost Clue by Mrs. O.F. Walton. Reviewed by Rebecca's Bookshelf.
The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. Reviewed by Bart.
The Foreshadowing by Marcus Sedgwick. Reviewed by Bart.

To find out more about "literary gothic" novels, visit this website.
Want to hear some gothic tales...visit this website.
To read more reviews of Halloween-appropriate books, visit this website.
To find out more about the Bookworms Carnival, visit this website.

There will be TWO bookworms carnivals in the month of November:

Edition 17 hosted by: Dewey at The Hidden Side of a Leaf
Deadline for submission: November 14, 2008
Theme: graphic novels
To submit a post, email: dewpie at gmail dot com

Edition 18 hosted by: Bookopolis
Deadline for submission: November 28, 2008
Theme: Memoirs
To submit a post, email: preferred.stock at gmail dot com

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

11 comments:

Rebecca Reid 4:14 PM  

Thanks for hosting! I look forward to reading the reviews in the coming days!

Cheryl 7:15 PM  

Hi Becky-I had a random, off-topic question for you. I noticed that you do author interviews. Have you ever interviewed an author who received an average or poor review? I'm SO curious.

KittyCat 12:17 AM  

Thanks for this great list, Becky! I'm looking out for 'Nortanger Abbey' as that's the only Jane Austen I've not read :)

Debi 10:58 AM  

Looks like a wonderful Carnival, Becky! Can't wait to get around to all the posts. Thanks.

Nymeth 2:33 PM  

Thanks for hosting, Becky. This is a great edition. I look forward to reading all the posts.

Kim L 10:10 PM  

Great carnival! I think the quintessential Gothic read is Jane Eyre, but as far as the book of the moment, it seems to be The Thirteenth Tale. I have seen that book everywhere!

Lightheaded 10:49 PM  

Hello Becky! I forgot to submit anything for this month's carnival but I'm so thankful that you included a post of mine anyway. Thank you so very much!

Can't wait to visit the other posts included here!

bekkah 7:03 AM  

Great carnival...thank you so much for including me!!

Jackie M (Literary Escapism) 1:54 PM  

I love Gothic literature. I was going to finish reading The Picture of Dorian Grey, but completely forgot about it since I'm buried under a bunch of book reviews at the moment.

I've read a lot of these, or portions of them, but I think I'm going to be adding a few to my TBR list. Great selection reviewers!

My Spanish capstone class was Narrativa Gotica y Fantistica (Gothic & Fantastic Narratives). It was awesome and I was introduced to so many others. I can highly recommend Rapaccini's Daughter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Chris 8:11 PM  

Jane Eyre, Dracula, Frankenstein: those are some of my favorites.

Dewey 9:03 PM  

The carnival looks great! Thank you for hosting. Love the images.

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Review Policy

I am interested in reviewing books and audio books. This blog focuses on books written for middle grade on up (essentially 10 to a 110). I review middle grade fiction and young adult fiction (aka tween and teen).

I also review adult books.

I read in a variety of genres including realistic fiction, historical fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, literary fiction, and chick lit. (I've read one western to date.)

I read a few poetry books, a few short story collections, a few graphic novels, a few nonfiction books.

I am especially fond of:

  • Regency romances (including Austen prequels/sequels)
  • Historical fiction set in the Tudor dynasty
  • Historical fiction and nonfiction set during World War II
  • Jewish fiction/nonfiction
  • dystopias
  • apocalyptic fiction
  • science fiction (especially if it involves time travel and alternate realities)
  • fantasy
  • multicultural books and international books

I am not a fan of:

  • sports books
  • horse books
  • dog books if the dog dies (same goes with most pets actually except maybe fish)
  • westerns (if it's a pioneer story with women and children, then maybe)
  • extremely violent books with blood, blood, and more blood

I am more interested in strong characters, well-written, fleshed-out, human characters. Plot is secondary to me in a way. I have to care about the characters in order to care about the plot. That being said, compelling storytelling is something that I love. I love to become absorbed in what I'm reading.

If you're interested in sending me a review copy of your book, I'm happy to hear from you. Email me at laney_po AT yahoo DOT com.

You should know several things before you contact me:

1) I do not guarantee a review of your book. I am just agreeing to consider it for review.
2) I give all books at least fifty pages.
3) I am not promising anyone (author or publisher) a positive review in exchange for a review copy. That's not how I work.
4) In all of my reviews I strive for honesty. My reviews are my opinions--so yes, they are subjective--you should know my blog will feature both negative and positive reviews.
5) I do not guarantee that I will get to your book immediately. I've got so many books I'm trying to read and review, I can't promise to get to any one book in a given time frame.
6) Emailing me every other week to see if I've read your book won't help me get to it any faster. Though if you want to email me to check and see if it arrived safely, then that's fine!

Authors, publishers. I am interested in interviewing authors and participating in blog tours. (All I ask is that I receive a review copy of the author's latest book beforehand so the interview will be productive. If the book is part of a series, I'd like to review the whole series.) Contact me if you're interested.

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

My Blog List

Becky's Hosting These Challenges

100 Books Project: Fill in the Gaps

Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP