Friday, October 10, 2008

Goodnight Goon


Rex, Michael. Goodnight Goon.

Just in time for Halloween comes a monster-filled parody of a children's classic, Goodnight Moon. Goodnight Goon has it all--Martians, mummies, bats, werewolves, and much, much more. This book will make a great read aloud treat in October. And would definitely be a fun addition to school and classroom libraries everywhere. (This may just inspire a few more parodies of Goodnight Moon.)

In the cold gray tomb
There was a gravestone
And a black lagoon
And a picture of--
Martians taking over the moon
And there were three little mummies rubbing their tummies...

To find out what else there is...to eventually say goodnight to...in this parody, you'll need to track down a copy at your local bookstore or library and read it yourself.

From the publisher: Goodnight monsters everywhere, in this parody romp with its own special twist!

“Goodnight tomb. Goodnight goon. Goodnight Martians taking over the moon.”

It’s bedtime in the cold gray tomb with a black lagoon, and two slimy claws, and a couple of jaws, and a skull and a shoe and a pot full of goo. But as a little werewolf settles down, in comes the Goon determined at all costs to run amok and not let any monster have his rest.

A beloved classic gets a kind-hearted send up in this utterly monsterized parody; energetic art and a hilarious text will have kids begging to read this again and again.

Other reviews: A Year of Reading,

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Debi said...

Hmmm...I think I see a trip to the bookstore in my near future. I want this one sooooo much!

Holly said...

Looks charming. :) This reminds me of another parody I saw - Goodnight Bush.

Mary Lee said...

I'm probably the only person of my age who didn't grow up with Goodnight Moon. I actually had to buy a first-ever copy of Goodnight Moon so that I can use Moon and Goon to teach parody! (But I'll keep Goodnight Bush at home!!)

Kate said...

I love that you reviewed this for RIP III!

I've now bought both Goon and Bush for my lovely niece :)