Saturday, October 18, 2008

If You're Reading This, It's Too Late


Bosch, Pseudonymous. 2008. If You're Reading This, It's Too Late.

If You're Reading This, It's Too Late is the sequel to The Name of This Book Is Secret. I enjoyed the first book tremendously. I loved it. L-O-V-E loved it. This one....well, it didn't quite live up to my expectations...but I think it's an enjoyable enough read. I think it might be just my mood. (Or maybe sometimes second books have a hard time living up to the first book.)

Like The Name of This Book Is Secret, this one is written in a very informal, casual way. Novel-as-conversation. The narrator-author is speaking directly to the reader. And this works in many ways. It's meant to be humorous and adventurous all in one.

Here's the author's note:

Please read the contract on the following page very carefully. If you refuse to sign, I'm afraid you must close this book immediately.

Turn the page, and this is what you'll see:

I, the Reader of this Book, certify that I am reading this book for entertainment only. Or to avoid cleaning my bedroom or doing my homework. I will not try to uncover the true identities or locations of the people described in this book. Nor will I try to contact any secret society mentioned in this book. Although the story may concern an ancient and powerful secret, I hereby deny any knowledge of this so-called secret. If I am ever asked about it, I will run from the room. Unless I am on an airplane, in which case I will close my eyes and ignore the person speaking to me. And if all else fails, I'll scream. I will not repeat a word of this book under any circumstances. Unless I just can't help it.
If that doesn't make you curious, surely the prologue will.

One thing that I enjoyed about this one is that the chapters count down. We begin with chapter 33 and end with chapter 1. I thought that was unusual but fun.

The narrator is just as fun as ever. And the story is full of adventure, mystery, and humor. Our hero-and-heroine (Cass and Max-Ernest) are back for more secrets, more chases, and more close-calls. And they're ready to join the Terces society, and prepared to go on missions for the greater-good to put a stop to the evil society of the Midnight Sun.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

9 comments:

Maree said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Keep up the great work! :)

Marg said...

I am amazed that you are not only reading, but you are reviewing as well! Keep up the good work!

Abby said...

Ooh, we just got this one at my library and I loved the first one, so I'm really excited to read it! :D

Anonymous said...

im gonna read it right now

Anonymous said...

the book is great its very fun for kids and adults it ver intertaining. I like how the auther interupts the story and puts his owns thoughts in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cphacker92 said...

I love it i just finished no.1 in a blackout and loved and i just started this one yesterday but so far i like the first one better.

cphacker92 said...

I love it! i just started it yesterday and finished no.1 in a blackout! but so far i like no.1 better! :)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the first book. I can't wait to buy the second book

Amy said...

I love the first book, and have 13 copies. I didn't like the second one as much for one little reason, Yo-Yoji. I think he completely ruined the book, but I still loved it, if that makes any sense.