Saturday, December 06, 2008

Weekly Geeks 27--Dewey in her own words...

Weekly Geeks--27--Tribute to Dewey

I was thinking that it might be nice for those bloggers who are Weekly Geeks to pay tribute to Dewey in the next week or so. To take the time to post to their blogs a "Weekly Geek" post about Dewey--maybe share their favorite posts from her site, maybe share a memory or two about participating in weekly geeks, the bookworms carnival, the 24 Hour Readathon, or one of Dewey's challenges, maybe just share a favorite memory of Dewey in general, what they'll miss most, how they'll remember her, etc. I'm going to post mine today--but bloggers anywhere and everywhere are encouraged to post whenever they want. Please come back to this post to leave your link. I'll be rounding up responses.

---
I chose to focus on her own words, on her own posts...because...I'm still at a loss of words. She was a wonderful person, unforgettable, a true kindred spirit, the best of the best.

"My main focus in blogging is community. I want to share my love for books with other bloggers, hear what they think of what they’re reading, and have lots of bookish fun. My non-review blog activities, such as the Bookworms Carnival, the Read-a-thon, Weekly Geeks, the challenges I host or join, and the contests and giveaways in my blog are all meant to build community."--from About Dewey.

"In a way, blogging about book is passing it on. I do literally pass on a lot of my books, but when you write about a book you loved, if even one person reads what you said and then reads that book, you’ve given them a sort of gift. So many of the books I’ve read have been recommended by friends, and one of the things that makes the reading of those books more enjoyable is knowing that when I finish, I’ll be able to discuss it with the person who recommended it."--from this post...
I don't know about you...but Dewey gave me many gifts through her blog.

My personal top five posts...from Dewey's blog...

How NOT to host a carnival.
5 Reasons I Blog.
Arrr, woof, matey! (Her observations on Knitting with Dog Hair.
Why Do We Read
Blog Question


Some of you--most of you--may remember Dewey's Top 10 of 2008 project. Please take the time to vote in the polls at Literary Escapism in the next week or so. This too is an important part of remembering Dewey.

If you've written up something about Dewey, please leave me a link in the comments or email me the link to laney_po at yahoo dot com.

Other posts:

My Friend Amy
Just Add Books
Chris
Debi
Subliminal Intervention
Melody
Wendy
Natasha
N. Vasillis
gautami tripathy
Chain Reading
Alisonwonderland
Renay
Nymeth
Tasses
wordlily
Valentina
Suey
Book Addiction
Jessi
Chris
Kim
Melissa
Bookish Ruth
Savvy Verse & Wit
Bride of the Book God
Lightheaded
Somer
Teddy Rose
Kristi
Worducopia
Terri
Tracy
Alessandra
Florinda
Wendy
Fizzy Thoughts
Book Dads
Bold Blue Adventure

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the initiative.

Here is my link:

Remembering Dewey

Shelley said...

I enjoyed reading the posts that you linked to, especially "Why Do We Read?" She hit the nail on the head with that one. Here's my link:

http://blog.chainreader.com/2008/12/weekly-geeks-27-remembering-dewey.html

alisonwonderland said...

thanks, becky! my "remembering dewey" post is here.

Renay said...

I loved her reasons for blogging. I shared a lot of those with her, especially the writing one. We talked about it a lot. Sigh.

I wrote a post, I guess, but in the end I wrote it to her rather than about her. It's here and probably not worksafe, like NONE OF OUR CONVERSATIONS were ever worksafe. We were such nerds.

I miss her. >.>

Ana S. said...

I remember how the knitting with dog hair post almost made me choke with laughter. And I loved her reasons for reading and for blogging posts. And also what she says about how recommending a book is like giving someone a gift.

Thank you for this, Becky. Here's mine.

Ana S. said...

I was re-reading the Reasons why I blog post and I noticed she said "a bookish friend from Portugal"... aaaah, I had forgotten about that. It made me tear up again.

Cheryl Vanatti said...

Not a huge tribute, but just my simple wish for her HERE.

Anonymous said...

Here's mine: http://wordlily.wordpress.com/2008/12/06/wg-27-remembering-dewey/

Suey said...

Here's my tribute to Dewey.

Anonymous said...

Here is my post: http://heatherlo.wordpress.com/2008/12/06/weekly-geeks-remembering-dewey/

jessi said...

My tribute is here.

Chrisbookarama said...

Hi Becky
Mine is here:

http://chris-book-a-rama.blogspot.com/2008/12/weekly-geeks-for-dewey.html

Kim said...

Thanks for highlighting those posts Becky. They were great choices.
My tribute is here:
http://pageafterpage-kim.blogspot.com/2008/12/weekly-geeks-dewey-edition.html

Melissa said...

I managed to get a tribute up here. You're much better at writing tributes than I am. This was lovely.

Teddy Rose said...

Wonderful tribute Becky!

Here's mine:

http://teddyrose.blogspot.com/2008/12/weekly-geeks-in-memory-of-dewey.html

Kristi said...

I really enjoyed reading your favorites, Becky. They really highlight what I'm going to miss soooo much about Dewey :(. I've posted a very short remembrance post. I'm not very good at this kind of thing. Here's the link: http://passionforthepage.blogspot.com/2008/12/rip-dewey.html

Terri said...

I have a Dewey post up:
http://teelgee7.blogspot.com/2008/12/weekly-geeks-27-for-dewey.html

Thanks Becky.

Tracy(bookroomreviews) said...

Just Beautiful Becky! Thank you for your post.

http://bookroomreviews.wordpress.com/2008/12/01/god-bless-you-dew/

Alessandra said...

Here's my post: http://alessandrasplace.blogspot.com/2008/12/weekly-geeks-27-remembering-dewey.html

Serena said...

Thanks for linking to my post about Dewey!

Florinda said...

My WG #27 post about Dewey is up. Thanks for getting this started, Becky!

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky: Here is my WG #27 post about Dewey.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,
Thanks for doing this. Here's my post:
http://fizzybeverage.blogspot.com/2008/12/weekly-geeks-for-dewey.html

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,
We passed an award to The Hidden Side of a Leaf in memory of Dewey.

http://www.bookdads.com/2008/12/weve-been-given-the-butterfly-award/

Kim L said...

Becky, I did post here