Saturday, December 13, 2008

My Year of Reading Dangerously 2009 Challenge


Estella is hosting a challenge for 2009 called My Year of Reading Dangerously The rules are to read twelve books you deem "dangerous" between January 1rst and December 31rst 2009.

My twelve books:

1. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
2. Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
3. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, translated by Richard Pevear
4. Tyndale's New Testament
5. Wycliffe New Testament
6. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
7. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
8. Inkspell by Cornelia Funke
9. Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke
10. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
11. Daniel Deronda by George Eliot
12. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Alternates:

1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, translated by Richard Pevear
2.Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck-- another John Steinbeck book (checked out from library; title to be decided later)
3. The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri
4. The Female Quixote by Charlotte Lennox
5. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
6. The Monk by M.G. Lewis


My Year of Reading dangerously
Challenge Blog
All of 2009
12 Books

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm joining this one too, Becky! Here is my "working" list of books!!

Lezlie said...

War & Peace is such a great book! You will not be disappointed with that choice.

Good luck! Great list!
Lezlie

Kailana said...

Of Mice and Men was a fantastic book! I hated Robinson Crusoe, though. I know, I am probably in the minority...

Anonymous said...

"Cranford" and "North and South" are among my absolute favourite books ever (which, by the way, also include "Jane Eyre", "Pride and Prejudice" and "Persuasion"... :) ) Have you read Elizabeth Gaskell's "The Life of Charlotte Brontë? L.

Becky said...

Lezlie, I'm hoping this translation does the trick. That and it's not in teeny tiny print!
Kailana, I've never read Steinbeck, but I'm hoping I enjoy it. I read Robinson Crusoe in high school and hated it. But I want to give it a fair chance.
Anonymous, I haven't read Gaskell's biography of Charlotte Bronte though it is on my wish list. It looks like we have similar taste in books.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think so too - I've read a lot of your reviews and really enjoyed them! So I'm really looking forward to your reviews of these books - it's a very impressive list. "Robinson Crusoe" is definetly a dangerous read for me - I've not read it (yet); it just sounds so - well - boring.

I was thinking about it and for me the dangerous Elizabeth Gaskell is "Sylvia's Lovers"; I read somewhere, that according to her it was the saddest thing she'd ever written - and I thought: Sadder than "Ruth"?! I've got it on my reading-list, but I'm not exactly throwing myself at it... L.

Becky said...

Anonymous, that was my experience in high school--boring torture for Robinson Crusoe. Of course it didn't help that we were being quizzed a couple of times a week and having to write essays for tests as well. Having to "spot" symbolism and trying to find meaning in every single little word.

I've got Sylvia's Lovers in my tbr pile, but I thought I'd start with the more-acclaimed Gaskell fiction first--North and South, Cranford, etc. I do hope to get to Sylvia's Lovers eventually though.

Vasilly said...

I loved Of Mice and Men. I hope you enjoy it.