Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Travel the World: England: Sovay


Rees, Celia. 2008. Sovay.

I liked this one a lot. It is about a female--young teen girl--highwayman. She didn't begin her life of crime out of need, or even for thrills. No, she began--her first armed robbery--solely for revenge. 1790s. England. Sovay is a young woman engaged to be married. When she learns that he has cheated on her, she begins plotting her revenge. But what she doesn't know is how trivial this will all seem within a few days. Sovay's family--her father, her brother especially--will soon be threatened; their lives at danger if they're found. For Sovay learns that her family is about to be charged with treason--among other charges--they stand accused of having the wrong views on the French revolution, of being symphatetic with the uprisers in France. The charges aren't exactly true--they support the philosophies not the murderous actions of the people--but true or not...there are people who will stop at nothing to destroy her family. Sovay is an adventurous, strong, intelligent heroine.

I won't go into much detail. It was fun. It was enjoyable. It was delightful. Most of the reviews of this one that I've come across have found it disappointing in one way or another. The readers have read other books they feel are better or more worthwhile. I haven't had that much experience with this time period, with this subject. So I didn't find it disappointing. I didn't find it unoriginal or uninspired. I found it entertaining and well paced. I enjoyed every minute I spent with this one.

Here is the UK book cover. Which cover do you like best?

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

9 comments:

Sarah Miller said...

Tough call on the covers. IMO the US version is the more attractive and appealing image, but it doesn't convey the sense of setting or character you've described at all. At first glance I'd guess it was a contemporary romance.

On the other hand, the UK edition clearly says "historical" yet strikes me with a Wild West vibe instead of 1790's England.

Becky said...

I agree, Sarah. It says Wild West to me. Not 1790s England. Yet the US version seems too contemporary. So I don't know which of the slightly wrong covers I like best.

Melissa said...

I'm glad you liked this one, too. I had a blast with it -- I could see why people were complaining, but I didn't care. I read Three Musketeers soon after, and it hit me how much Sovay is like that one.

I like the American cover better.

Serena said...

I agree the first cover looks contemporary, while the second suggests historical.

I like the first, but maybe not for this story.

Sounds like a great book.

Anonymous said...

Her covers sure have changed since she started writing. I have read one book by her, one these days I will have to read more! Frankly, I am not really sure on either cover... It makes no sense to have covers that don't apply to the books at all, you know....

Ink Mage said...

As usual, I like the UK cover better. Although it is sort of Wild West-y, I like that the model has a more um...tomboyish? straightforward? less coy? look than the US cover.

B said...

Thanks so much for the review of the book. There's actually a folk song that I'm guessing the premise of the book is loosely based on. I have a recording of the song, so your book review really jumped out at me when I saw the name of the book.

Becky said...

Yes, Calon Lan, there is a folk song. I wasn't familiar with it, so it didn't register so much for me as I was reading the book.

Anonymous said...

i know the girl on the us cover.