Friday, February 01, 2008

New Library Meme


February is Library Lovers Month, so to celebrate I thought I'd try to start a new meme going around about the library. I know one went around last year. I answered it. But I'll try to think of new questions. I'd really appreciate it if you'd play along :)

How do you plan on celebrating Library Lovers month? By writing this meme. And by visiting my library, of course :)

How often do you accidentally spell library as 'libary' when you're in a hurry? Too embarrassing to really answer. It's funny how a few words can be tricky for me to type. My mind just rushes too much ahead I guess. I hope that's the reason anyway. I really really can spell.

What is the most amount of books you've ever had checked out at one time? From my university library, I've had close to a hundred books checked out at a time. It's like this. I was in an independent study--a French class--and the assignment was to write an annotated bibliography of French Women Writers. I'm not sure if it was more or less specific than that--limited to certain centuries, etc.--but I had to check them out and "browse" them enough to be able to write five or six sentences. The sad thing? They'd been in the library--the Woman's Collection--on the shelves probably since the library opened back at least sixty or seventy years if not longer--and I was the first person to check them out. Ouch. But for a public library, my record is for about sixty or sixty-five books. It was overwhelming and scary.

What is the longest you've ever gone without visiting the library? I didn't mean to write a tricky question. The truth is that I've always had access to either a public library, a school library, or a University library. Before we got our school library in fifth grade, my trips to the local library where few and far between. We might go steadily through the summer--earning free McDonald's hamburgers--but not visit it through the rest of the year. So my books were limited to what we had at the house--plenty let me tell you--and the classroom libraries of our teachers. But once the school library was open, I was hooked. And in college, I was hooked. And out of college, I discovered the joys of the public library.

What is the biggest fine you've ever had? I once forgot to return an interlibrary loan book for about a week or ten days. It was painful. I think it was somewhere around eight or twelve bucks. More than I wanted to spend.
When you go to the library, do you plan ahead and make a list? Or do you browse? I make lists on index cards most of the time. But I've always always been a deviant. I end up with some of the books on my list. And most of my books off the list.

Have you ever been shushed or hushed by a librarian? Not lately. I really do try hard not to make a scene.

What is the worst (against-the-rules) thing you've ever done in the library? Probably--gasp--bring in food and drink.

What's the worst thing you've ever done to a library book? Underline in pencil. My somewhat valid excuse? Remember the aforementioned books for the French project that had never been checked out? Well, I figured they'd be no harm done by marking them up a tiny bit to aid me in my notes.

Have you ever had a "favorite" librarian? Yes. Mrs. Lacy was my favorite and my best. She was *inspirational* in oh-so-many ways. Very self-esteem boosting at a rotten rotten school for the most part. I was her library aid for four years.

If you could change one thing about your library it would be... This one's hard. It's not that I dislike my library. But I would want a bit better selection. As I'm reading blogs day after day, week after week, I see many books that I'd like to read at some point. But my library doesn't have some of them--a lot of them.

4 comments:

Melissa 10:48 AM  

Fun meme... and a nice button. :) 100 books? Wow... that's impressive.

Tricia 12:30 PM  

Great meme. I'll play!
Tricia
http://libraryqueue.blogspot.com

janiejane 5:43 PM  

Fun meme! I answered it today!

M.P. Barker 9:56 AM  

Okay, Becky, I accept your challenge!

See my answers here:
http://mpbarker.blogspot.com/

M.P. Barker
A DIFFICULT BOY
Holiday House, April 15, 2008
www.mpbarker.net
www.classof2k8.com

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Review Policy

I am interested in reviewing books and audio books. This blog focuses on books written for middle grade on up (essentially 10 to a 110). I review middle grade fiction and young adult fiction (aka tween and teen).

I also review adult books.

I read in a variety of genres including realistic fiction, historical fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, literary fiction, and chick lit. (I've read one western to date.)

I read a few poetry books, a few short story collections, a few graphic novels, a few nonfiction books.

I am especially fond of:

  • Regency romances (including Austen prequels/sequels)
  • Historical fiction set in the Tudor dynasty
  • Historical fiction and nonfiction set during World War II
  • Jewish fiction/nonfiction
  • dystopias
  • apocalyptic fiction
  • science fiction (especially if it involves time travel and alternate realities)
  • fantasy
  • multicultural books and international books

I am not a fan of:

  • sports books
  • horse books
  • dog books if the dog dies (same goes with most pets actually except maybe fish)
  • westerns (if it's a pioneer story with women and children, then maybe)
  • extremely violent books with blood, blood, and more blood

I am more interested in strong characters, well-written, fleshed-out, human characters. Plot is secondary to me in a way. I have to care about the characters in order to care about the plot. That being said, compelling storytelling is something that I love. I love to become absorbed in what I'm reading.

If you're interested in sending me a review copy of your book, I'm happy to hear from you. Email me at laney_po AT yahoo DOT com.

You should know several things before you contact me:

1) I do not guarantee a review of your book. I am just agreeing to consider it for review.
2) I give all books at least fifty pages.
3) I am not promising anyone (author or publisher) a positive review in exchange for a review copy. That's not how I work.
4) In all of my reviews I strive for honesty. My reviews are my opinions--so yes, they are subjective--you should know my blog will feature both negative and positive reviews.
5) I do not guarantee that I will get to your book immediately. I've got so many books I'm trying to read and review, I can't promise to get to any one book in a given time frame.
6) Emailing me every other week to see if I've read your book won't help me get to it any faster. Though if you want to email me to check and see if it arrived safely, then that's fine!

Authors, publishers. I am interested in interviewing authors and participating in blog tours. (All I ask is that I receive a review copy of the author's latest book beforehand so the interview will be productive. If the book is part of a series, I'd like to review the whole series.) Contact me if you're interested.

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP