Friday, February 08, 2008

Roundup of Nineteenth Century Women Writers Reading Challenge


If you are participating in the Nineteenth Century Women Writers Reading Challenge, I wanted to let you know that I would love to see how you're doing, how you're progressing. I'll be posting links to reviews. So if you want to be included in the roundup, please leave a comment with your link. If you don't have a blog, please feel free to leave thoughts, and mini-reviews in the comments.

I've read four books so far: I have read Persuasion and Northanger Abbey and Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. And I have read Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell.

Ex Libris has read Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell.

Chris has read Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Love Poems by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

Shep Nachas shares thoughts on Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

8 comments:

SFP said...

I'm midway through Olive Schreiner's The Story of an African Farm. I'll let you know when I've finished. :)

dshep said...

My first selection was Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein; on the Modern Prometheus” because there it was on the shelf. The novel was first published in 1818. It kept me rivoted to the story line and characters. I highly recommend it.

It is a good introduction to 19th Century Woman Writers. The actual novel is about 200 pages but I took full advantage of the lengthy biographical and literary background provided in the introduction. There were some chapters that I could not read fast enough to satisfy my desire to learn what happened to the characters. I felt sympathetic to both Frankenstein and to the monster. I wished that Frankenstein would have befriended the monster. I wonder whether the monster would have turned vindictive and evil anyway. My complete blog on the book is over on Shep Nachas.

Thanks for the challenge, Becky. I don't know if I would have ever gotten around to reading "Frankenstein" other wise.

Sharon said...

I've finished Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell. You will find my review here:

http://exlibris.typepad.com/ex_libris/2008/02/cranford.html

Sharon (Ex Libris)

Framed said...

I've finished three books. "Eight Cousins" and "Rose in Bloom" by Louisa May Alcott and "Five Children and It" by E. Nesbitt. The links to my reviews are posted on my sidebar. Both "Cranford: and "Persuasion" are just waiting for me to read them. Thanks again for hosting this challenge.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Becky!

I have finished Behind A Mask or A Woman's Power by A. M. Barnard (Alcott). It was simply a great read!

SG/Sandra
Booked to Read

Anonymous said...

I just posted my thoughts on Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey - an unexpected 2nd title for the 19th Century Women Writers challenge.

SG/Sandra
Booked to Read

Chrisbookarama said...

Becky- I reviewed Anne of the Windy Polars for the challenge here:

http://chris-book-a-rama.blogspot.com/2008/03/anne-of-windy-poplars-4-review.html

Petunia said...

You can find my review of The Awakening by Kate Chopin here:
http://educatingpetunia.blogspot.com/2008/08/review-awakening.html

and my review from back in March of Persuasion by Jane Austen here:
http://educatingpetunia.blogspot.com/2008/03/review-persuasion.html