Friday, February 08, 2008

Feedback Required...

I've got a few ideas bouncing around in my mind. But they require some feedback. I've always been eager to act, but I think some restraint is needed. Thus, I'm going to take a few steps back and let others try to influence me one way or the other.

Idea #1 The Andrew Davies Challenge

This is more of a viewing challenge than a reading challenge. No books would be required. But they wouldn't be discouraged either. The "challenge" would be to watch 2-4 movies (films, made-for-tv movies, tv mini-series, etc.) where Davies has written the screenplay. Examples include Bridget Jones' Diary, Pride & Prejudice (1995), etc. The wikipedia lists and IMDB give long lists of his work.

Idea #2 Something About Me--Movie Edition--Challenge

Last summer, I loved the Something about Me challenge. I loved it. It was just so much fun. It occurred to me then, and yet again yesterday. I think it would be fun to do a "Something About Me" movie edition challenge. Where participants would choose 5-7 movies that represent them in some way. Then the challenge would be to watch three to five movies from other participants' lists during the course of the challenge. This challenge doesn't involve books either. And while I know *some* book bloggers love movies, I'm not sure there is enough interest. Also, I'm not sure Lisa would like me borrowing her idea and adapting it. That challenge was so successful, so popular. And there might not be interest to do movies. And it wouldn't be much for only three or four participants. This is a case where more is always better. So it might just stay an idea unless there is overwhelming interest expressed.

Idea #3 Buddy Reading GWTW (Gone With The Wind)

Last fall--November to be exact--Leila of Bookshelves of Doom--hosted a "Big Read" a group reading of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. It was so much fun. There was a schedule to follow. And it was so much fun to read people's thoughts. Again there would need to be interest. The book wouldn't *have* to be Gone With The Wind. But it would need to be a book already in my TBR pile. And it couldn't be a newer book. Since the posts would by necessity contain spoilers for each chapter. Another candidate might be an Austen novel??? (Sense & Sensibility perhaps???) Anyway, let me know if anyone is interested in "reading" something alongside me.

Idea #4 An Initial Challenge

This challenge (name to be determined) would be to read a certain # of books with authors who publish under their initials. (C.S. Lewis. A.A. Milne. J.R.R. Tolkien. L.M. Montgomery. E.M. Forster. T.H. White. J.K. Rowling. R.L. Stine. e.e. cummings. D.H. Lawrence. J.D. Salinger. H.G. Wells. E. Nesbit. T.S. Eliot. E.B. White. P.G. Wodehouse. J.M. Barrie. W.B. Yeats. V.C. Andrews. G.K. Chesterton. T.E. Lawrence. O. Henry. H.A. Rey. Etc.) I'm sure you could come up with many more examples.

4 comments:

Melissa 2:16 PM  

My 2 cents: I like the initials idea and the something about me movie idea. I'd do the group read if it were a book I was more interested in reading. (I would have done Rebecca with Leila, but it was a bad time for me.)

Becky 2:20 PM  

Thanks, Melissa.

I'll be thinking of titles that I would like to do a group read. I would *potentially* maybe, maybe like to do this fairly regularly. I'm still thinking on how to get this one to work. As I think it would be really fun.

Becky

Amanda 4:38 PM  

I think my favorite of those would be #3. I like the idea of doing an almost "book clubish" thing with everyone.

jehara 7:27 PM  

i like the idea of a group read. these are all great ideas though. i'd probably participate in all of them. so creative, becky!

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Review Policy

I am interested in reviewing books and audio books. This blog focuses on books written for middle grade on up (essentially 10 to a 110). I review middle grade fiction and young adult fiction (aka tween and teen).

I also review adult books.

I read in a variety of genres including realistic fiction, historical fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, literary fiction, and chick lit. (I've read one western to date.)

I read a few poetry books, a few short story collections, a few graphic novels, a few nonfiction books.

I am especially fond of:

  • Regency romances (including Austen prequels/sequels)
  • Historical fiction set in the Tudor dynasty
  • Historical fiction and nonfiction set during World War II
  • Jewish fiction/nonfiction
  • dystopias
  • apocalyptic fiction
  • science fiction (especially if it involves time travel and alternate realities)
  • fantasy
  • multicultural books and international books

I am not a fan of:

  • sports books
  • horse books
  • dog books if the dog dies (same goes with most pets actually except maybe fish)
  • westerns (if it's a pioneer story with women and children, then maybe)
  • extremely violent books with blood, blood, and more blood

I am more interested in strong characters, well-written, fleshed-out, human characters. Plot is secondary to me in a way. I have to care about the characters in order to care about the plot. That being said, compelling storytelling is something that I love. I love to become absorbed in what I'm reading.

If you're interested in sending me a review copy of your book, I'm happy to hear from you. Email me at laney_po AT yahoo DOT com.

You should know several things before you contact me:

1) I do not guarantee a review of your book. I am just agreeing to consider it for review.
2) I give all books at least fifty pages.
3) I am not promising anyone (author or publisher) a positive review in exchange for a review copy. That's not how I work.
4) In all of my reviews I strive for honesty. My reviews are my opinions--so yes, they are subjective--you should know my blog will feature both negative and positive reviews.
5) I do not guarantee that I will get to your book immediately. I've got so many books I'm trying to read and review, I can't promise to get to any one book in a given time frame.
6) Emailing me every other week to see if I've read your book won't help me get to it any faster. Though if you want to email me to check and see if it arrived safely, then that's fine!

Authors, publishers. I am interested in interviewing authors and participating in blog tours. (All I ask is that I receive a review copy of the author's latest book beforehand so the interview will be productive. If the book is part of a series, I'd like to review the whole series.) Contact me if you're interested.

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

My Blog List

Becky's Hosting These Challenges

100 Books Project: Fill in the Gaps

Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP