Saturday, February 16, 2008

Another Poll

I am getting really excited (perhaps counting my chickens before they hatch but better optimistic than cynical in my opinion) about my new reading group project. You can find that new blog here. The discussion starts Monday, February 18th for Their Eyes Were Watching God. It will take a miracle to have it be more than two or possibly three people participating and that's including myself. But it's the first time out, Zora Neale Hurston doesn't seem to be a popular author amongst my blogging friends, but it's all good. The second book will be Sense and Sensibility and I have higher hopes there. But it's in choosing the third book that I need your help now.

I've decided to do a young adult novel next. A good many of my readers come here for that reason. That is (or at least it is supposed to be) my main focus of reviewing.

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. This one I've read and reviewed twice. But I love it. It's a book I think everyone should read at some point. I would so love to get some of my blogging friends to read it. :) Those that don't automatically follow all the big hits of YA literature. I first reviewed Life As We Knew It in November of 2006. In September of 2007, I reviewed the audio book of Life As We Knew It. I actually have an interview with Susan Beth Pfeffer coming up on Monday. Another reason I'd love to choose this one? The next book--same world but different setting and characters--is coming out in June.

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I read this one back in 2000 or 2001. I haven't blogged about it. It's on several of my challenge lists this year. I'd love to reread it at some point this year. I think it is again a must-read for the YA genre. You can read a bit more about it at the Amazon site.

Rash by Pete Hautman. I love this book. I do. I just love it. It's set in the future. It's funny. It's just about as close to perfect as you can get. I've read it and reviewed it. (Read that here if you like. I also had a Rash post just of quotes I loved.) I urge you to read what the author has to say about it before you make your final vote.

Looking for Alaska by John Green is another one I'd rate as near-perfect. It is funny in spots, serious in spots, but always always authentic. A very good coming-of-age novel. Highly recommended.

City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. I love, love, love this one as well. Can you guess that I'm only offering up the best titles for choices? I believe the movie of this is coming soon. Anyway, it's futuristic. It's definitely one I couldn't put down. And it's the first of three books in a series. Anyway, one of my favorite books I read in 2007.

The Giver by Lois Lowry. A true classic. I would never get tired of rereading this one. My only concern would be that everyone has already read it. I'd really like to introduce something new to people. But if people want this one, then I'm game. (My review is here.)

I'd love to read all of these at some point if there is any interest in keeping the group active. I'm hoping that this becomes a successful, happy project with a long, long life.





Which young adult novel would you pick?

Life As We Knew It
Speak
Rash
Looking for Alaska
City of Ember
The Giver


(View Results)

Create a Poll

3 comments:

The Bookworm said...

Hi Becky, your new reading group sounds great. I saw the film version of Their Eyes Were Watching God, I have a copy of the book and have yet to read it. So many books so little time :)

Anonymous said...

Becky, someone is totally plotting against me. Several of the books you've turned me onto have sounded fantastic, so I've gone to the library to get them and even though the system says they're checked in, they're always missing. Clearly, you are recommending stealth titles to your readers. XD Today Life As We Knew It was vanished from the shelf. I am somehow cursed or the YA shelves are haunted.

However, if I had to choose two for a book group -- don't make me choose just ONE -- it would be Life As We Knew It or Looking for Alaska (because John Green is AWESOME).

Becky said...

I agree that John Green is awesome :) And I will accept your vote for *two* books. :)

I'm sorry the library isn't cooperating with you! It's like that some days. I know. Maybe you'll have better luck in a day or so. My bad/good luck is always coming and going when it comes to finding what I'm looking for on the shelves.