Monday, February 25, 2008

Answering A Few Questions

Have questions about the "online reading group"? Just ask!!!

How do I participate? Do I need to sign up anywhere? No 'official' sign ups are necessary. However, if you want to express your interest, your intent to participate, that's good. It encourages me. But everyone is welcome to participate regardless of if they "signed" up or not. A blog is not necessary to participate. Participation comes from reading the book and visiting the online reading group blog. You may share your thoughts and opinions in the comments, OR if you prefer you can write your thoughts in a post on your own blog site (if you have a blog). Just be sure to leave a link so everyone can visit your site.

Do I have to participate on the assigned days? No. If you feel better posting on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and sometime on the weekend, for example, that is fine. I don't know why I chose M,W, F. There really wasn't much logic behind it.

What if I get behind? If you get behind, don't give up. Just comment on those posts as you get to that chapter. It doesn't matter if you're behind schedule. I'm still interested in what you have to say! I'd rather have you a day or two (or even a week) behind schedule, than for you to give up and drop out completely.

What if I start the book and hate it? Do I have to keep going? That's up to you completely. Your comments (or posts if you blog about it on your own site) can be as negative as you like. But if you seriously hate a book and don't want to waste your time, then drop out if you must! I'd rather you do that than come to hate me by association :) I'm not going to *force* you to read anything!

What if my copy is back due at the library before our discussion schedule is "finished"? If you don't want to renew--and I wouldn't blame you if you don't want the hassle--then you can always finish it ahead of schedule. You might want to jot down a few notes about the chapter(s) if anything strikes you as being outstanding--either good or bad. The number of notes you might have to take will vary. If you think you can retain it for a week or two, then none may be necessary. Otherwise, jotting down a key idea or two might help.

What if I read really quickly? What if I finish that month's book in two days? Do I have to "slow" my reading down just to participate? If you want to read at your own pace, feel free to do so. Just comment when you can! Take a few notes if necessary. But basically just retain enough to let your opinions be known as we go along.

No comments: