Friday, February 15, 2008

Celebrate the Author: February Links

It's time to "celebrate" February authors! Have you read your February book for the Celebrate the Author challenge? If you have then please leave either a link or a mini-review in the comments. If you haven't there is still plenty of time left in the month! Feel free to come back anytime in the month of February (and yes, even into March), and leave a comment updating me on your progress. As the links start to come in, I will update the body of this post to reflect what you're reading and have a "round-up" of sorts.

You can read January's round up here. If you participated but your link isn't included, please let me know by commenting on that post. I'll be sure to add you in.

Just a brief reminder, you don't have to follow a list unless you want to. You can change your mind at any point. You can add and subtract authors as you go. If you need help finding authors, then there are several websites that will do the hardwork for you. Such as Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators: Author Birthday List by Date and by Name. And Kidsreads.com. And Author/Birthday Web Directory. And Teen Author Birthday Index. You can search the internet for general birthday information. Or choose your authors, search the web for bio information, and see if you can work it all out that way. (Hint: typing the authors name, a "+" and the word 'birthday', tends to work if you assume that wikipedia gets such things right.)


This month I've been celebrating Laura Ingalls Wilder. Little House in the Big Woods; Little House on the Prairie; On the Banks of Plum Creek; By the Shores of Silver Lake; The Long Winter; Little Town on the Prairie; These Happy Golden Years; The First Four Years.

Joy celebrated with Judith Viorst. Here are her thoughts on My Mama Says There Aren't Any...

Debi celebrated the birthday of Judy Blume. Here are her thoughts on Tales of A Fourth Grade Nothing.

Kim celebrated the birthday of E.L. Konigsburg by reading The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

Book in hand also celebrated the birthday of Judy Blume. Here are her thoughts on Smart Women.

Tara read See Jane Die by Erica Spindler.

Laura read The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers.

Writer2B celebrated Russell Hoban's birthday.

Booksplease read Paul Auster's Book of Illusions.

Wendy celebrated the birthday of J.M. Coetzee by reading The Life and Times of Michael K.

Mo reviews Foggy Mountain Breakdown in honor of Sharyn McCrumb's birthday.

Kara celebrated the birthday of Helen Bianchin.

gautami tripathy celebrated the birthday of Amy Tan.

krin has celebrated the birthday of Karen Joy Fowler.

Alisonwonderland has reviewed Love Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli.

Callista has read a few clifford books by Normam Bridwell. Reviews here.

17 comments:

Joy said...

I celebrated Judith Viorst's birthday month with My Mama Says...

Here are my thoughts.

Debi said...

We celebrated Judy Blume here, with Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.
A few thoughts.

Tara @ Tales of a Book Addict said...

I read "See Jane Die" by Erica Spindler this month. My review can be found here:

http://talesofabookaddict.blogspot.com/2008/02/see-jane-die-by-erica-spindler.html

Laura said...

I read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. Read my review here !

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,

I'm celebrating Russell Hoban this month at:
http://writer2b.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/lessons-from-a-badger/

BooksPlease said...

I read The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster for February.

My review is at http://booksplease.blogspot.com/2008/02/book-of-illusions-by-paul-auster.html

Wendy said...

I read Life and Times of Michael K, by J.M. Coetzee. Coetzee, a Nobel Laureate, was born February 9, 1940 in Cape Town, South Africa. The book I read was also set in Coetzee's birthplace :) My review is here.

bookinhand said...

I celebrated this month by reading Smart Women by Judy Blume. My review can be found here:
http://bookinhand.blogspot.com/2008/02/smart-women.html
Diane

Kim said...

I celebrated E.L. Konigsburg by readubg From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.
http://pageafterpage-kim.blogspot.com/

Mo said...

In celebration of Sharyn McCrumb's birthday, February 23rd, I have read and reviewed "Foggy Mountain Breakdown, here

Anonymous said...

I celebrated with my favorite "feel good" reads - author Helen Bianchin.

http://karabookchallenges.blogspot.com/2008/02/celebrate-author-helen-bianchin.html

Anonymous said...

I finished mine today!

The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan

alisonwonderland said...

i celebrated Jerry Spinelli's birthday by reading Love, Stargirl. my review is here.

krin said...

It took me a while to find this post, but I read Sister Noon by Karen Joy Fowler last month. My review is here.

Anonymous said...

I read SONG OF SOLOMON by Toni Morrison. My review is on my blog.

Wendy said...

Well here we are in August and I just realized I have not been giving you links to my reviews for this challenge!

In February I celebrated J.M. Coetzee's birthday by reading The Life and Times of Michael K. My review is here.

Kathleen said...

In February I read a few clifford books by Normam Bridwell. Reviews here.