Saturday, January 12, 2008

#35 Here Be Dragons Challenge


Here Be Dragons a 2008 Book Challenge hosted by Stray Talk.

What?
Read 3-5 books featuring dragons.

When? 1st of January to 30th of June, 2008

To sign up yourself, visit her site.

These are the ones I'm considering. I'll probably only get to three. But you never know....number four and five could slip in there before the deadline.

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George
Dragon Flight by Jessica Day George (I'd love a review copy of this!)
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley
Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
Neverending Story by Michael Ende
Three Tales of My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett
The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien

Simple question, don't laugh....does Lord of the Rings have dragons???? I've only seen the movies and am wanting to read the books. So if you know...please let me know.

I'm also open to suggestion on other titles.

5 comments:

Marg said...

Have you read Naomi Novik's Temeraire series? They are good reads.

Melissa said...

I'll second the Temeraire series (though my favorite was the first one). Hubby (resident LOTR expert) says that Lord of the Rings does *not* have dragons... unless you count the appendices. If you count all the appendices, Smaug (from the Hobbit) as well as some other dragons get mentioned. (But he's not positive about the other dragons. Definitely Smaug, though.)

Becky said...

Melissa, please pass along a big thank you :) I knew that there were some dragons mentioned in The Silmarillion and the Hobbit. So I knew they weren't completely unheard of in Middle Earth.

Kim L said...

Actually a dragon plays a big role in the plot of the Hobbit, so an excellent selection. None of the other LOTR books have dragons.

Silmarillion is an intense read. LOTR is a favorite of mine, but I have not been able to get through Silmarillion. Too many names. It reminded me of reading an encyclopedia. Good to reference back to, but not extremely compelling reading.

Anna said...

I guess I'm a little late, but Smaug is the villain in The Hobbit. I'm not sure about The Silmarillion, but in Farmer Giles of Ham another dragon plays an important role, although Farmer Giles of Ham is one of Tolkien's short stories. It really isn't an official book.