Thursday, January 31, 2008

You Make My Day Award...


I was so pleased to be awarded the "You Make My Day" award a few days ago. And I wanted to pass along the love.

Five blogging writers brighten up my days...

Susan Beth Pfeffer's blog is wonderfully chatty and at times quite clever. I love it when Pfeffer shares her stick drawings. And the past few weeks, she's been blogging about her possible third book (aka P3B). It's fun to get inside her head. By the way, I am SUPER SUPER excited that I have an interview coming up with her. It will be posted February 18th.

I love, love, love Ellsworth Journal featuring Ellsworth, Winchester, and "The Writer" (aka Candice Ransom). It is one of my favorite blogs. Her posts have character, personality, and a little-something-extra that just brings a BIG smile to my face.

The third writer whose blog I just adore is Sarah Miller. Whether she's reviewing books or just providing commentary on life in general, I find myself loving what she has to say.

Sarah Dessen's blog has long been a part of my routine. Though Sarah Dessen doesn't know I exist, I have been a long time fan. And one of my prized possessions is an autographed The Truth About Forever.

And Lisa Graff's blog is completely new to me. I discovered it through Miss Erin, but I am LOVING this weeks posts. I hope she keeps blogging, blogging, blogging because I am loving getting to spy on her.

Other bloggers deserving of the award...

Miss Erin. A long-time favorite of mine. One of the first blogs I started reading--among the first anyway. And I especially especially love her recent posts about Shannon Hale. They're just so fabulous :)

Bookshelves of Doom
. I love reading this blog. I do. You never know quite what you're going to fine. But you can take a pretty good guess that whatever it is she's posting about--it'll be a good thing. Fun. Serious. Thought-provoking or all of the above.

Little Willow. When I look at her long, long list of author interviews I am just in awe. I want to be her when I grow up. There's definitely much to admire and respect. :)

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone...but these are the people on my mind today. I love so so so so many blogs. Some that update daily, and some that update weekly, and some whose updates are rarer and harder to find but who I still love anyway. :)

5 comments:

Little Willow 10:21 PM  

Thank you so much, Becky. That is so flattering.

Sarah Miller 7:59 AM  

Dude, now you're making MY day!

See, I'm in the middle of a mildly traumatic PC-to-MAC swap, so this was a fine thing to run across while updating my feeds. :)

The bad news: it's probably going to be a little while before I unscramble my brains and get time to share the love and spread the award to my day-makers.

The good news: My new Mac seems to like your site better than my PC, so now I can actually leave you comments on a regular basis!

Erin 11:40 AM  

Thank you so much, Becky! Means a lot. :)

Lisa Graff 8:21 PM  

Thanks, Becky! I've just found your blog and am loving it too!

Dewey 10:05 AM  

I think this is the first one of these posts I've read that didn't list a whole bunch of bloggers I already read. In fact, all yours are new to me, so I'll go visit some!

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Review Policy

I am interested in reviewing books and audio books. This blog focuses on books written for middle grade on up (essentially 10 to a 110). I review middle grade fiction and young adult fiction (aka tween and teen).

I also review adult books.

I read in a variety of genres including realistic fiction, historical fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, literary fiction, and chick lit. (I've read one western to date.)

I read a few poetry books, a few short story collections, a few graphic novels, a few nonfiction books.

I am especially fond of:

  • Regency romances (including Austen prequels/sequels)
  • Historical fiction set in the Tudor dynasty
  • Historical fiction and nonfiction set during World War II
  • Jewish fiction/nonfiction
  • dystopias
  • apocalyptic fiction
  • science fiction (especially if it involves time travel and alternate realities)
  • fantasy
  • multicultural books and international books

I am not a fan of:

  • sports books
  • horse books
  • dog books if the dog dies (same goes with most pets actually except maybe fish)
  • westerns (if it's a pioneer story with women and children, then maybe)
  • extremely violent books with blood, blood, and more blood

I am more interested in strong characters, well-written, fleshed-out, human characters. Plot is secondary to me in a way. I have to care about the characters in order to care about the plot. That being said, compelling storytelling is something that I love. I love to become absorbed in what I'm reading.

If you're interested in sending me a review copy of your book, I'm happy to hear from you. Email me at laney_po AT yahoo DOT com.

You should know several things before you contact me:

1) I do not guarantee a review of your book. I am just agreeing to consider it for review.
2) I give all books at least fifty pages.
3) I am not promising anyone (author or publisher) a positive review in exchange for a review copy. That's not how I work.
4) In all of my reviews I strive for honesty. My reviews are my opinions--so yes, they are subjective--you should know my blog will feature both negative and positive reviews.
5) I do not guarantee that I will get to your book immediately. I've got so many books I'm trying to read and review, I can't promise to get to any one book in a given time frame.
6) Emailing me every other week to see if I've read your book won't help me get to it any faster. Though if you want to email me to check and see if it arrived safely, then that's fine!

Authors, publishers. I am interested in interviewing authors and participating in blog tours. (All I ask is that I receive a review copy of the author's latest book beforehand so the interview will be productive. If the book is part of a series, I'd like to review the whole series.) Contact me if you're interested.

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

My Blog List

Becky's Hosting These Challenges

100 Books Project: Fill in the Gaps

Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP