Monday, January 14, 2008

2008 Award Meme

In the excitement of the big announcements coming from ALA, I thought I'd start a meme seeing which books people have read before the mad rush starts.

I'm going to bold the ones I've read, and italicize the ones I own that I haven't read yet but plan on doing soon, soon, soon. You might want to add categories for ones you've heard of. Or ones you want to read at some point. You can change up the rules all you like.

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! by Laura Amy Schlitz
Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt
Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson
Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
Henry's Freedom Box by Ellen Levine*
First the Egg by Laura Vaccaro Seeger**
The Wall by Peter Sis
Knuffle Bunny Too by Mo Willems***
November Blues by Sharon M. Draper
Twelve Rounds to Glory by Charles R. Smith
Let It Shine by Ashley Bryan
The Secret Olivia Told Me by N. Joy
Jazz on a Saturday Night by Leo and Diane Dillon
Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything In It by Sundee T. Frazier
Reaching for Sun by Tracie Vaughn Zimmer
Hurt Go Happy by Ginny Rorby
There Is A Bird On Your Head by Mo Willems****
Hello, Bumblebee Bat by Darrin Lunde
Jazz Baby by Lisa Wheelter
Vulture View by April Pulley Sayre
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
Los Gatos Black On Halloween by Marisa Montes
The Poet Slave of Cuba by Margarita Engle
My Name is Gabito by Monica Brown
My Colors, My World by Maya Christina Gonzalez
Frida: Viva la vida! by Carmen T. Bernier-Grand
Martina the Beautiful Cockroach by Carmen Agra Deedy
Lightship by Brian Floca
Nic Bishop Spiders by Nic Bishop
The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean
Dreamquake by Elizabeth Knox
One Whole and Perfect Day by Judith Clarke
Repossessed by A.M. Jenkins
Your Own Sylvie by Stephanie Hemphill
Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe
The Cat or How I lost Eternity by Jutta Richter
Nicholas and the Gang by Rene Goscinny

* I have read this one quite a few times. But I haven't written a review for it yet. But the day it came in the mail. (I think it was in the summer.) I pulled it out and said, "this has to be a winner!"
**This one made the Librarians Choices list. During our meeting, the person who nominated it read it aloud to us. And held up the book so we could see the pictures. So I know it's good. But I've never held it in my own hands. And I haven't looked at it enough to review it yet.
***Oh how I wish I had a contact with this publisher!!!!
****For some odd reason, I've checked this one out of the library. But never got around to reviewing it officially for my blog. I remember loving it though!

1 comment:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Sad to say that Ender's Game is the only one I've read on that list. Hugo Cabret is on my short list of books to get to soon.